BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there going to be a subforum this year for ice off reports? its almost that time of year for the lower elavation interior lakes to start melting

·
Registered
214 Posts
I was curious about that too, I'm glad someone brought it up. Ready to battle loons for 'bows again eh?

The situation around Kelowna right now is pretty sad, especially with Wood Lake being iced over (which somehow happened in the middle of February??). Only open body of water I've seen lately is Okanagan Lake. How about Swan Lake in Vernon, is it still iced?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have been working in calgary all winter. i am coming back tomorrow and i was hoping that things where starting to melt. last year i remeber i fished a few times on my fishing license from the year before on hidden and baird lake, so they must have opened up at the end of march. but from what you are saying it dosent sound like that will happen this year. i have loaded up on gear hear in calgary and cant wait to use it this year. if wood lake is iced then im guessing swan is iced.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had a month and a half of fishing on my old license before I had to re-new last year. So far this year I have exactly 0 days fishing. It's only since the past weekend the weather has started to get a little bit warmer.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hopefully it warms up and some lakes open up in april. what lakes did you fish last year with your old license?

·
Registered
214 Posts
mainly Wood Lake, had a couple days at Trepanier creek shorecasting into the big water and at the tail end of the liscense was up at Idabel and Haynes Lakes near big white

·
Registered
42 Posts
wood lake will be open right now it never fully froze over, and shannon is not far away hoping by the end of next week it will be good to go. Was up ice fishing on another lake nearby and it is about a week or two away. The trout are sure active caught two in the 18" inch range nice and fat aswell won't be long can't wait to hammer out a leech into the open water

·
Registered
7 Posts
woods is still frozen, there are a couple of open water patches. I drive by it twice a day. I saw 2 people in a boat fishing a wet patch about 100 yds in diameter.Round and round they go. The open water is close to the shore. two people in a boat, 12 people on the ice

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im realy getting the fishing bug! i got a fishing video game yesterday to try and keep me from going crazy, but i think its the most stupid thing i have bought. i put new leaders on my lines and greased up the reals and have reorganized my flys dozens of times. i need to go fishing!

·
Registered
7 Posts
im realy getting the fishing bug! i got a fishing video game yesterday to try and keep me from going crazy, but i think its the most stupid thing i have bought. i put new leaders on my lines and greased up the reals and have reorganized my flys dozens of times. i need to go fishing!
there are a couple of open rivers around.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yeah I'm thinking about trying the Shuswap or similkameen next weekend, hopefully the weather cooperates.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
did u hit any river yet grim reeler? if so, how did you do?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Gonna be this weekend hopefully. I hear there are Brook trout and decent rainbows in the Mckinley (Glenmore) reservoir so after work friday I'm gonna drive out there and check to see how the ice off is going. If it's still closed then I'll be going out to Keremeos or Enderby to fish one of those rivers on saturday. Have you gotten out yet or are you still away from Vernon?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
im probaly going to head to the shuswap on the weekend. might check out hidden lake while im out there if the road isnt to snowy

·
Registered
42 Posts
was at mkinley yesterday ice is almost off was one open patch but unfortunatly it was mostly on the no fishing side. seen some hatches and some little fish cahsing down some flys that were skimming the surface

·
Registered
214 Posts
Really? Just drove the work truck to the dump and their holding ponds there were frozen solid so I figured the reservoir would be as well, good to know though. Do you think the ice is breakable, possible to fish in there right now or possibly saturday???

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
how good is the fishing at Mckinley reservoir? never been there. i didnt even know it had fish lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not nvery good anytime i have been there. NO boats of any kind alowed and there is a no fishing sighn at the best looking part of the lake hard to get a cast off the shore for the most part.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no float tubes or anything?

1 - 20 of 99 Posts