BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
K so theres this liitle bug i tie. its more realistic without the tail . but the one with the tail seems to catch more fish. do u think the tail helps hide the hook? . Its happened to many times on to many of my lil tests to be a fluke. Do others who use inged flies find this aswell ?

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I got 3 flies I use, one has a tail, one doesn't and one is a wet fly. sometimnes each of them will catch fish,but the others don't except other times they do. what do you think?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
K. take the one that has a tail and cut it off. and take the one that dosent have a tail and give it one. And do whatever the opposite is on the wetfly. then tell me the results. Myn were significant. I was talking aabout the same fly with and without a tail. just try this ive been testing it for like 8 years. But the test might not work aswell on the flys you use. Im not sure, because this is the greatest fly ever invented LMAO. (by me) . Ive seen 2 that looked somewhat similar. 1 only caught me, the other I saw 4 or 5 years later( quite recently actualy) and yet to try. Ya ok it might seem silly. You can even call me silly for this but I now put tails even on my ants. Yup, I tested ants aswell.
"Perhaps it looks like the body is extended and diverts the fishes eye away from the hook." Thats my philosiphy

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
K. take the one that has a tail and cut it off. and take the one that dosent have a tail and give it one. And do whatever the opposite is on the wetfly. then tell me the results. Myn were significant. I was talking aabout the same fly with and without a tail. just try this ive been testing it for like 8 years. But the test might not work aswell on the flys you use. Im not sure, because this is the greatest fly ever invented LMAO. (by me) . Ive seen 2 that looked somewhat similar. 1 only caught me, the other I saw 4 or 5 years later( quite recently actualy) and yet to try. Ya ok it might seem silly. You can even call me silly for this but I now put tails even on my ants. Yup, I tested ants aswell.

"Perhaps it looks like the body is extended and diverts the fishes eye away from the hook." Thats my philosiphy

I'm thinking once you put a tail on a pattern, you are imitating something completely different than what the tailless pattern would suggest. I do know for certain that the visible hook makes no difference whatsoever, otherwise, every chironomid would have a tail. You could take a bloodworm and put a tail on it and, voila, you have a microleech!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
iv never even fished with a chronomid before seriously. just when i had no idea what i was doing when i started with flys. ddnt get much success i alays go for the floaties. But nonetheless I think a chroni test is in order. ;) but this test ont be tested as dramaticaly as the other. ill giv them 20 mins each. everytime i fish for the next 10 trips. 40 mins dedicated to testing then back to normal fishing. i suppose I gotto find a good chron pattern now for around here.

·
Registered
214 Posts
What do you consider normal fishing just out of curiousity?

And I would stress to you that it's worth it to learn proper chironimid fishing, I consistently catch larger fish when I can hone in on a good chironomid hatch.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yep, thats my goal for the year is to learn to chroni fish, fish with guys who do and when there hot, wooooh watch out as they out fish me 10 to one

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By normal fishing I mean whatever I would be doing with a rod If im not testing a new hook or whatever. Like back to my normal bug.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I've had days when chronie fishing where I had to stop and take a break as my arm was getting tired because of too many fish in a short period of time. So take the time and learn how to fish this way (indicator, naked, and sinking line) and you will have another method to use that can be extremely rewarding. Just remembered, Be patient, really patient.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
K your arm was sore from catching so many fish in a short period of time. but u had to be patiant? Lmao. I know what u mean i just haought that was funny how u worded it. I use to bobber fish alot and 1 specific place i went it took about 45 mins of sitting quietly and staying still. after about 45 mins u couldnt keep them off. ddnt seem to matter what time of day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts