BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught this guy last week. Note the nose and gill plate. I am curious about the gill plate deformity because I have seen this in others. It looks like an infection or a reaction to some environmental issue. Googled gill plate deformity and found that trout in the Fording have similar issues with selenium. This fish was caught in Lois Lake at a creek mouth and has no mines upstream to explain it. No doubt it is an "escapee". Needless to say, it is out of the pool. Buck full of milt and flesh was orange and seemed healthy otherwise. Fins were well formed, not like others with stubs. Vertebrate Wood Bait Fish Fin

·
Registered
248 Posts
It looks perfectly healthy now. Trout are pretty resilient if damaged when young.
I have seen many ugly faces, though I don't judge.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've caught some ugly escapees in that lake but never that bad. A buck is also rare, from my understanding they try to only raise females. Must be an older escapee because as far as I know they are clipping adipose fins now too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am in contact with a biologist with Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations. He was interested in the spawning of these fish. He suggested that they are "naturalized fish" which came as a result of spawning escapees. Makes sense since I have caught unclipped, and seemingly normal, 12" rainbows in the stream mouths. The snub nose could be a side affect from the triploid process. He stated that only recently the fish have been clipped and all fish should be triploid. I will attempt to take a few fish this year and follow up. As far as the gill plate infections? Environmental, genetic, feed, disease...??? The one thing he did stress was that we must follow the regulations as to the fish that can be harvested. I sense it is a rumor that there is no limit to the harvest of rainbows in the lake. They will be looking into tweaking the regulation so that there are no size restrictions to the quota of 4 adipose-clipped fish in Lois Lake.
Vertebrate Fish Salmon-like fish Ray-finned fish Fin

Note the adipose.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found another trout in the Lois Lake system with a typical gill plate infection. This time in a cutthroat or what could be a cutbow. It did display a pinkish hue in the sunlight. Still no identification of the cause as yet. I am forwarding pics to wiseguys.

Salmon-like fish Fluid Food Fish Oncorhynchus

Reactions: arrgh

·
Registered
984 Posts
Be interested to hear the cause and also to discover if the penned fish are infecting the wild or escapee stock as I imagine is likely.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Otherwise a good fish.
Caught Jan 1, 2016

Water Salmon-like fish Oncorhynchus Coastal cutthroat trout Fish

1 - 7 of 7 Posts