BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, wanted to snap my two-hander today. Water looked good, I knew my spot, but I just couldnt reach the far bank...grrrr, so needless to day I didnt even lose a fly on a log, let alone get even a nibble.

I'm finding that I can snap out a decent spey cast single handed: single spey with river left, double spey of either shoulder, snap-t etc etc etc, even get the odd snake roll when I'm lucky. Loving my 8wt single, as well as my beat up 5wt single, but just cant seem to translate this into the two-hander.

I dislike the Skagit (bomber with no feel, but it has it's uses), so I've been using a ~60ft traditional type line (2D snowbee spey line). I can cast the 60ft head no problem, but of course the far bank is about 80ft away. Just cant seem to shoot line.

I think the main problem is that I correct a lot of timing issues and manage to maintain constant tension/loading with the single handers by hauling, but with the two hander things dont always come out of the water smoothly, especially if I'm trying to shoot line.

Any way, back to watching my DVD's and trying to imagine what I'm missing.

Anyone else out there found some trick on how to transition between the single hander and the big spey? I like the style, but not so much the result...yet!

It's really frustrating to be able to get a 70-80 ft spey cast single handed on a 9ft rod, but only a 60ft cast with a 13 ft rod...seems counter intuitive and counter productive! Perhaps it's just time and patience...

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Btree...we are having a small Spey Gathreing next Sunday (March 7th)on the Stamp...if you can find the time make it over...no charge...perhaps you can help me with it a bit and we can deal with your issues ...let me know
C

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm having the same 2 hand newb problems as well. I was out today and struggled with consistently getting smooth casts out. I'm using my switch so when I got really annoyed I'd over head with a haul and launch it but that's not why I got it. I suspect that we'll have more days like these... Salar I'm sure will get you straightened out tho, wish I wasn't a ferry ride away!

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
You know a very good friend of mine and I were chatting last year about ways we can get casters to really understand what it is that they are actually trying to accomplish and ways we could get them to see what it is that they are actually doing! Sure you can get a video and that does help but more importantly you need to have a FEEL of what you are doing..like letting go of the handle bars on a bicycle...a real good practice is to take a fairly long belly line and begin to manipulate the tip in circles..good size circles...or hoops...get as much line out as you can while keeping the loops smooth and not collapsing...once you get to the place you are comfortable don't put more out...simple get very comfortable with that feel and begin really playing with the loops almost like chewing gum and looking away...do close your eyes..this really helps with the FEEL. Instinctively you will anticipate where the line is always..recognizing the tip of the rod as the key ingredient in this performance...what you will really notice is that your rod tip is being held well away from you and always ready to create that LOOP>>>>> rythm,balance,correct speed and body position...
It is a very nice feeling when you position the line where you want,create that dynamic loop,manage correct line speed and manipulate the rod to deliver a great cast with very little effort...
I look forward to many conversations about this in both Single and Two handed situations. Have fun
C

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I totally agree - for me it's all about feel, and that only comes with practice.

I find I can make nearly any sort of cast with the two rods I use most - standing on one leg balanced on a slimy rock waist deep in heavy flows and a tree 7ft overhead, and still I can manage to flip something out that gets my fly laid out where and how I want.

Put me on the rod I use least ankle deep on an open gravel bar, no wind and I get a whole lot of slash and flop.

I'll try that make loops thing though. Sounds like a great way to get started on the snake roll as well - a cast I'm always scared of when I try it!

I've found that with single handed spey casts, I just have to trust that my anchor is good and my timing is right and just let it go and voila, out it goes smooth as can be. It took me a long time to trust a single spey with river left and the fly coming a wee bit close for comfort. I used to just bring the line upstream as I would to set up for single spey, then let it crash, perry poke it out and then cast, but it never quite worked as well as just going for it. A lot of it has to do with practice though.

I find the DVDs are good for getting ideas (some good, some bad), but it's all about just going out and getting time on the water, but a little help goes a long way too ;)

It would be scary to take a camera out and take some video of casting...I liked it for golf

·
Registered
271 Posts
Finslap - let me know what your up to this weekend coming up (by pm or phone) and we will see if we can get together and i will try to help out as best i can. Saturday im hitting the Sportmans show though but should be home around 4pm ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts