BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We visited Morgan Lake today to take a look. It was mostly over cast with a light wind, very minimal surface activity. there were about 6 units on the lake including a couple of trollers. The one pair off fisherman we talked to said that the 2 fish that they had managed to catch were stuffed with daphnia. I tried throwing a micro-leach for a while from shore to no avail.
So my question would be what does one use when fish are focused on daphnia.:confused:

dave

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
We visited Morgan Lake today to take a look. It was mostly over cast with a light wind, very minimal surface activity. there were about 6 units on the lake including a couple of trollers. The one pair off fisherman we talked to said that the 2 fish that they had managed to catch were stuffed with daphnia. I tried throwing a micro-leach for a while from shore to no avail.
So my question would be what does one use when fish are focused on daphnia.:confused:

dave

Hey Dave,

Sorry I missed you when I was at the Powderkeg on Thursday but I met that awesome dude, Chico!

When trout are feeding on daphnia, they are usually in a suspended state. For those not in the know, daphnia are microscopic red crustaceans and when I'm forced to imitate them I always use an olive microleech with heavy red flash and fish it static, suspended under an indicator and if that doesn't work I use the same pattern on a Hi-D sinking line and a "rip-strip" retrieve.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Dave,

Sorry I missed you when I was at the Powderkeg on Thursday but I met that awesome dude, Chico! (By the way, has anyone visited his magic hole? Did I mention he was buying bait?!!)

When trout are feeding on daphnia, they are usually in a suspended state. For those not in the know, daphnia are microscopic red crustaceans and when I'm forced to imitate them I always use an olive microleech with heavy red flash and fish it static, suspended under an indicator and if that doesn't work I use the same pattern on a Hi-D sinking line and a "rip-strip" retrieve.
I didn't know you were going to be in Merritt this early, otherwise I would have come in. Let me know when you are coming into town next and I'll make sure I'm there.
When you say olive micro-leach, would the arizona simi-seal be a decient blend.

dave

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Nomad, very interesting artical. I will have to add a few of those paterns to the collection for future use.

dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts