BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I’m starting to plan a first trip up from central WA for lake fishing. My timeframe (dictated by work) will be mid-June and I’ll probably have 4-5 days to fish. I’m looking for input for a handful of lakes to get a feel for the Merritt/Kamloops region. I'll be bringing my water master raft and 4wd vehicle. My ideal setup will be a couple of different lakes with cabin rentals to use as basecamps to explore the area.

I’ve read a bit about the region and have destinations like Roche, Tunkwa, and Chataway in mind already. Are these good candidates for a mid-June trip?

I’d like to hear about a guide recommendation as well. I’m just starting to get up to speed on the lakes in my area and would appreciate some instruction from a local “wizard” to shorten the learning curve on my trip.

Thanks in advance,
TP

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you want to spoil yourself, you might want to put Corbett Lake on your list.

They have cabins that include your fishing fee otherwise I think it is $50 - $100 to fish per day which includes a boat?

Lots of big fish.

I have been there twice and the smallest I ever hooked was 2 lb., the biggest 9.5 8.5 7.5 and the like...

You certainly do not need a guide for most of these lakes.
The correct lines and flys for the time of year are more important.

Hence in June month it's obviously chronomids as one of your go too's.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Nope. Don't agree

He's only here for 4 days or so.

Let him live a little.
I'd have to agree with you. I think if you have 4 days, that's truthfully not alot of time to mess around. Especially if you're generally a busy guy. If you don't work much in the winter and you can sift through all of the disinformation on the 'net great, but keep in mind that he's not from the region and I'm guessing by his thread title he'd like something that's a statisitical garuantee versus a lake that he needs to figure out could be good, then fish, then get good at.

Spend the extra and come home satisfied. Other private water options include Douglas Lake Ranch(1 doz. private, stocked lakes $40-130) and 7 1/2 Diamond Ranch, all near the Merritt area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies so far. I totally understand about not naming names when it comes to local gem fisheries.

I've never hired a guide for lake fishing before. However, with the multitude of variables that affect lakes, the sheer number of lakes available in the BC interior, and my decidedly short window of time, I thought getting a recommendation for a reputable guide that could help me pick a lake and get dialed on what's being eaten where could be a big help.

I'd rather not fish private lakes. Something just doesn't feel right to me when I've had great days on public water. But knowing which lakes are likely to be fishing well during the time I can fish is, of course, the wild card.

If anyone is going to be in central WA, I'm happy to provide a little local intel!

TP

·
Registered
110 Posts
troutpocket.

We have given you a couple of names.

Pretty hard to beat. (all time frames considered)

Wishin you...

All the best.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Short note.

You picked 3 very good lakes.

We could all rattle off some others, others we don't.

Remember also....

Just because a lake is on the map is no way a guarantee that you will find it the same day.

Over..

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far. I totally understand about not naming names when it comes to local gem fisheries.

I've never hired a guide for lake fishing before. However, with the multitude of variables that affect lakes, the sheer number of lakes available in the BC interior, and my decidedly short window of time, I thought getting a recommendation for a reputable guide that could help me pick a lake and get dialed on what's being eaten where could be a big help.

I'd rather not fish private lakes. Something just doesn't feel right to me when I've had great days on public water. But knowing which lakes are likely to be fishing well during the time I can fish is, of course, the wild card.

If anyone is going to be in central WA, I'm happy to provide a little local intel!

TP
Hi TP,

Corbett is probably the last lake I would recommend. The rainbows in there, although mildly photogenic, are mutated and lack the stamina to put up a fight condusive to Interior rainbows. They are usually good for one 40 yd. run and then bulldog on the bottom until they're too exhausted to fight any more. A day of fishing will cost you $90 which does not include a boat.

I would consider taking a look at Lac Le Jeune as a homebase from where you can daytrip out to Jacko which should be spot on that time of the year, Lodgepole Lake is close, picturesque and a small but technical lake, Edith Lake is about an hour away and has some quality brookies as well as rainbows, McConnell is also fairly close with good callibaetis hatches in June as well as Stake Lake or you could stay put at Lac Le Jeune and fish Little LLJ or the bigger main lake.

The lakes around Roche and Tunkwa should be decent in June as most Interior lakes will be.

You can contact Ron at Kamloops Flyshop @ 250 377 8461 for guiding and for lake updates.

You could also contact Fred at the Powderkeg in Merritt @ 250 378 9211 as he is in the hub of some great lakes nearby.

Other resorts to consider are Chataway Lakes, if your looking for high country lakes with minimal pressure but be forewarned there is 30 km. of washboard leading to the resort but that's never deterred me before.
Mile High Resort is situated between Lac Le Jeune and Tunkwa and is a well kept resort on Face Lake which is known for it's smaller but cooperative fish.
Surrey Lake Resort is also in the same area with a few satellite lakes nearby.

Whatever you choose, make the most of your limited time and best of luck.

John

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well...there you go. Just for the record, if I say something about fishing the Kamloops region and John say's different....you should probably go with what John says. ;) :p :D lol.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Well...there you go. Just for the record, if I say something about fishing the Kamloops region and John say's different....you should probably go with what John says. ;) :p :D lol.
Chauchey, I'm not trying to dispute what you say. I just happen to know that lake very well and Mr. McVey rears the fish himself. I just can't wrap my head around "quality" fish that come to the dock every evening to be fed pellets. They have become such pets that anyone paying the fee to fish the lake is forbidden from harvesting fish over five pounds.

I went every July with clients from Tunkwa and over the years our group has gotten several fish between 10-14 lbs. and frankly you'll get more enjoyment out of a 4 lb. triploid.

Back before the lake was private, it was a great fishery with residents to 5 lbs. and typical longrunning fights of Interior rainbows. Coincidentally Corbett has always had great callibaetis and damsel hatches.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Troutpocket. I concur with John's assessment of the lakes south of Kamloops. I also have fished Corbett, and if I was paying to stay there, I would likely go to Courtenay Lake to actually fish. You could also travel a bit (25 minutes) north of Kamloops and stay at Knouff (Sullivan) Lake, one of the nicest and most pleasant resorts (IMO) in that area. Or give Heffley Lake (Hitchin' Rail resort) a go. There are a handful of good lakes in the area as well. As for guides, None of these lakes are so big or complex that you would need one, and if you are staying at one of the resorts, the resort staff themselves will be able ot provide you with the information you would need to be successful. I have also found that the other guests a these resorts are usually easy enough
to talk to if you are outgoing yourself, and can save you guiding expense.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would suggest Roche Lake. It provides nice accomodation although not cheap along with restaurant facilities so dependant on your budget Roche offers good fishing with the option of several lakes in the vicinity that you would be able to access with your vehicle. If your looking for a guide Brian Chan offers guiding services and that's who I would contact. If your coming up for a short trip and don't want to be disappointed why not go with the best.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I would suggest Roche Lake. It provides nice accomodation although not cheap along with restaurant facilities so dependant on your budget Roche offers good fishing with the option of several lakes in the vicinity that you would be able to access with your vehicle. If your looking for a guide Brian Chan offers guiding services and that's who I would contact. If your coming up for a short trip and don't want to be disappointed why not go with the best.
Unfortunately, Troutpocket's timeline coincides with Brian hosting a weeklong trip to Wellesley Lake in the Yukon so a mid June guided trip would be out!

G

·
Duds in Corbett.

All great suggestions above. Although I have fished both Corbett and Minnie up on Douglas Lake Ranch. I found Douglas Lake Ranch to be far superior to CL. There are so many great "free" choices that hold big hard fighting fish, that with a little investigating online, and through fly shops you'll have no trouble finding a few in time for your trip. I think this thread is a great start. My:2cents:

Finder:cheers:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Chauchey, I'm not trying to dispute what you say. I just happen to know that lake very well and Mr. McVey rears the fish himself. I just can't wrap my head around "quality" fish that come to the dock every evening to be fed pellets. They have become such pets that anyone paying the fee to fish the lake is forbidden from harvesting fish over five pounds.

I went every July with clients from Tunkwa and over the years our group has gotten several fish between 10-14 lbs. and frankly you'll get more enjoyment out of a 4 lb. triploid.

Back before the lake was private, it was a great fishery with residents to 5 lbs. and typical longrunning fights of Interior rainbows. Coincidentally Corbett has always had great callibaetis and damsel hatches.
John, no worries man. I wasn't saying this in a negative way, I was simply making sure when this guy considered organizing his trip he didn't waste his thinking process on choices that should be taken. It was meant as more of a playful statement then anything else.
When you feed a fish pellets from the dock...not the lake I'd go to first. :doh: I didn't know that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another big THANKS to all of you for the great suggestions and leads to keep me less productive than normal during the winter in the office!

I'm fishing my local lakes through the end of November when they close and have been catching a few decent 'bows but I can't wait to get a shot at BC bruisers.

cheers,
TP

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lote it or hate it

Corbett Lake has it's fans and haters I for one am a fan. Yes, some of the fish are sluggish but lets be honest most of out Interior lakes are full of sluggish triploids!! Morgan Lake south of Savona is a "trophy lake" and those fish are hardly fighters that make any sort of decent run.

Our triploids are pretty weak fighters when you compare them to a wild rainbow.

Corbett is now $100 a day if you are not staying at the lodge. It's a bit pricey but at least you'll catch some decent fish. I've had plenty of great jumpers ar Corbett and I certainly don't think the rule of not being able to keep a fish over 5 lbs is unreasonable. Anyone keeping a large trout for food needs to give their head a shake anyways. Putthe damn thing back so someone else can experience the thrill of a big fish. 12 to 18 inchers are better eating and more plentiful so if you must keep one for food bonk one of those.

Bruce southern is a capable guide if you want one so is Gordon Honey.

As for lakes to visit I would recommend Corbett, Campbell, Morgan and Tunkwa

·
Registered
5 Posts
Interior lakes

Last season I had the opportunity to fish Roche for 5 days then drove south to Corbett
for 6 days on the water. I have fished both of these lakes a lot and thought this would be a great way to make an accurate sumation to age long controversy over Pellet Pigs and
Triploids ,at least for my own satisfaction. Although the fishing wasn't great on Roche we did manage a few Trip's that tipped the scale between 4.5 to just under 7lbs. Nice chrome fish and 2 of them went a bit into the backing. Off to Corbett... Fishing was typical for this lake but I would say that the number of Larger fish is in decline. It is my opinion after fishing both lakes within this short time frame that - BOTH LAKES WILL PUT A BIG SMILE ON YOUR FACE.

Check the websites of some of the resorts mentioned to see what your budget dictates.
I will quite often stay in a motel in Merrit and day trip surrounding lakes. So many great spots within an hours drive.

Peterhope and the Kane Valley lakes are other noteworthy destinations.

Oh ya. As for Triploids vs PP's, after reveiwing all the recorded data the winner is....

the one that got away. No clear answer here. My best answer is some fish fight harder than others. Both lakes had good numbers of good fighting fish and some just happened to have small tails.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You could also look at the area north of Kamloops . The Thuya lakes area has lots of lakes and is quiet and the lodge would be a good base and they have boats on fifteen lakes in the area.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts