BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this reel online, and I love the different look it sports. Has anyone heard or had any experience with this product? Here's the web page.
www.loonoutdoors.com

What do you guys think?

Finder:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
All things being equal

I think that after reading the drag stats, I will stick with my Pflueger Trion 9/10 for the time being. It has an incredible drag system and looks good too. I have used one for two seasons now with absolutely no issues. I have the upmost confidence in it. I would seriously consider upgrading to a Pflueger President 9/10 for my spey reel though, same great drag setup but with a true large arbor instead of the mid arbor of the Trion series, so more room for backing. The price point isn't bad either if you are budget conscious, or trying to justify a purchase to the wife,lol.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the read riverguy...:) Although I felt he was weighing it's pro's and con's for saltwater use. Which can be punishing on a fly reel. For the elements and fish. hmmm I know it's crazy but I love the bling look of it. The one thing I didn't like about it was the lack of line and backing specs it provides. It's pleasing to the eye, but will it hold up on our B.C. steelhead flows.

Finder;)

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
looks aren't everything!

The reel does look great but there are some flaws that might cause issues later on.The open cage exposes the backing and line to bulgeing, almost like many of us after dinner! The drag system works good as long as you maintain it and completely release the tension after use...the thin plate cork is suspect and prone to failure...simple to change but a hastle non the less...you will see them change to carbon type fibres in the near future...aside from that a fun reel to fish and nice looking...but like I said!
C

·
Registered
238 Posts
there is something lost when you use a disc drag reel on a spey rod. Nothing matches a two hander better then any of the old classic click/pawls:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so I decided to play it safe for now and go with the product I'm most familiar with. I baught a Loop evotec CLW, as I know their products are great quality seeing as I already own some. It is black which I'm not big on. But I do like the design, and I know it'll do the job on our local rivers until I can afford a G3 hd9/13 model.

Finder:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just bought a pfluger president reel 8 weight, large Arbour. I was only able to get 55 yards of backing onto it with my Rio vesatip fly line.... Any suggestions... reel looks awesome though...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts