BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the eastfork or current reels in saltwater for any period of time? If so, what have you thought about them?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Has anyone used the eastfork or current reels in saltwater for any period of time? If so, what have you thought about them?
Have the Eastfork 7-8 and really like it. Have yet to take it to the saltwater however. That drag works well on large rainbow that like to run into backing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, nebc, a friend of mine really likes his as well. I really want to know how it will fare after time in the chuck.... and if the 'sealed' drag on the Current is worth it...

·
Registered
264 Posts
I try to stay away from korean made reels, and the only ones that arent now are Ross and Islander. They are pricey but they are beautiful reels. If i had to pick between the 2 i would choose the current. I own a venture for my 5 and for a 100$ reel, its awesome!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don't forget Bauer. I have two JM4 reels 8 and 10 weights. These are in the mid range in terms of price, but in the top range for simplicity, quality. About $300. American made, durable and smooth cork drag. Pretty much maintenance free, just requires a little lubrication on the drag every now and then. No plastic parts.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I see you are in campbell river, I'd recommend you to drive down to courtenay Tyee Marine and check out their old stock Lamson reels. really reasonably priced and Made in USA rather than china..

Also Sealed drag and lifetime warranty

·
Registered
14 Posts
I see you are in campbell river, I'd recommend you to drive down to courtenay Tyee Marine and check out their old stock Lamson reels. really reasonably priced and Made in USA rather than china..

Also Sealed drag and lifetime warranty
What year did Lamson start manufacturing in China rather than the US? Just curious because I have a Lamson and would love to figure out if it was a US one.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
ive used my amundson tcr reel all year in salt with no ill affects, just rinse it out as you would with any reel after each trip

1 - 9 of 9 Posts