BC Fly Fishing banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this game and just getting set up with equipment. Does anyone have any input regarding a good quality line. I have read that the line is a critical element so I want to make sure I don't waste my money and buy something good right from the start.

Your help is appreciated.

twoshoes

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Twoshoes - Although it is important to have a good quality line, any reputable fly shop can give you a choice of moderatly priced good lines. If you are starting out, a weight forward line will be easier to cast than a double taper. Rio, Cortland, Scientific American and Airflo are all decent manufacturers that you can trust. I prefer Rio and Airflo lines for most of my set-ups. You really want to get a floating line to learn with. 80% of my fishing, streams or freshwater, is done with a floating line. What kind and weight rod are you looking at? I think the quality of your rod is the most important consideration. If you are planning on starting with trout fishing, your reel can be quite modest, as most times it will be used merely to store your line and not really to fight the fish. As your skill level increases, your demands for a line will change and you will likely want to change or add to your line selection. If you get into the sport seriously you will likely have 3 or 4 lines for your rod within a couple of years, to allow you to face a variety of conditions, so don't stress too much about getting the right one. Just get your tackle shop to help you select a good, weight forward, floating line matched to the rod you are buying and get put on the water.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the insight professori. My wife bought me a TFO 5wt rod for my birthday. When she bought it the guys at the shop told her it was a good entry level rod. Looking forward to getting out.

Twoshoes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts