BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All:

Has anyone been to Lois lake outside of duncan? it is been managed as a trophy fishery, however. apparently access could be restricted or closed? i am interested n getting up there in late april/may. thanks todd

·
Whitewater Cowboy
119 Posts
Hey Todd. The last time I headed for Lois Lake the road in was gated and I haven't been back since. You certainly could stop at the gate and hike in with a float tube, but, I've become partial to my boats. You may also wish to try and contact Fisheries to see if it has been stocked in the last few years. I've heard rumour that the gov't turned land over to the forest companies which has resulted in their decomissioning of logging roads or leaving them permanently gated. Might have something to do with the logging companies being held accountable if someone is hurt on their land, or has to be rescued. Originally, for the use of the land, the forest companies were required to provide access outside logging hours to the public and in some cases to create Forestry Rec. sites for the the priviledge of timber harvest. If you go let us know if they've openned the gate. Cheers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just looked up on Fishwizard and FFSBC and both show Lois last being stocked in June of 2009 with 500 Yearlings. In the 4 stocking that show on fishwizard, stocking are in either May or June. so It still may well happen this year which ( I believe) means there has to be access to the lake. Check with FFSBC to see if they plan on stocking it.

Craig

·
Whitewater Cowboy
119 Posts
You can still hike in, just the road in to launch a car topper was gated the last I was there. Were there browns included in the 2009 stocking?

·
Registered
96 Posts
As far as I know - no more non-native species will be stocked in BC.

I'm in two minds about it - I agree that invasive species should not be spread in BC waters - but I do enjoy fishing for Browns, ha ha! Its a bit of a conundrum!

14lb is the largest Brown I've caught to date (estimated by length x girth measurement, as it was released), here on the Island.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey All:

Thanks for the interest in Lois Lake. I did a little digging around and the land is owned by Timberwest forestry products. The gate is open ONLY on weekends from 8am to 6pm. There is a guy at the gate that will take your name, number and other info to account for all persons roaming their lands. It's at about 2200 feet and there's a good chance of snow up there still potentially iced over(that's what Island Outfitters told me). there are still some big fish in the lake and should be good once the weather warms up a little (late april/early may). The raod access is good and accessible through Glenora Rd. The backroads fishing book will get you there. Hoping to make it up there early May.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey All:

Thanks for the interest in Lois Lake. I did a little digging around and the land is owned by Timberwest forestry products. The gate is open ONLY on weekends from 8am to 6pm. There is a guy at the gate that will take your name, number and other info to account for all persons roaming their lands. It's at about 2200 feet and there's a good chance of snow up there still potentially iced over(that's what Island Outfitters told me). there are still some big fish in the lake and should be good once the weather warms up a little (late april/early may). The raod access is good and accessible through Glenora Rd. The backroads fishing book will get you there. Hoping to make it up there early May.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I guess Blackwaters (as well as all the other freshwater strains stocked in BC) are native to the province - though not necessarily to the area they are stocked in.

Close enough for government work, I guess - ha ha!

Couple of more Browns for you - though not necessarily from Lois (some of these are a few years - or maybe thats decades(!) old) - but all are from BC:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the photos! I recognize a few of the locations and thank you for not posting the locations! Those are some piggie browns!

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
As far as I know - no more non-native species will be stocked in BC.
I'm not too sure about that. Brookies are still being stocked throughout the province aren't they?

Beautiful browns none-the-less.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm not too sure about that. Brookies are still being stocked throughout the province aren't they?
I'm not sure, to be honest. I used to go by the Duncan hatchery occasionally, back in the day, to check out the brood-stock Browns they penned there - however, I know the last time I went they told me they would no longer be raising non-native trout.

It seems like I haven't seen a stocking report for anything other than Rainbows and Cutts (in their various strains) in many years - but I rarely look at the interior reports. Certainly nothing but natives have been stocked here on the Island, for quite a while - though there are certainly remenant populations of Browns, Brookies, Smallmouth and even a few Largemouth here and there, on the Rock.

I just wish they would raise a few Dollies to reintroduce to waters that have been striped of those late maturing, slow growing beauties. I run into one or two occasionaly, but its a rarity.

·
Registered
383 Posts

Beautiful browns none-the-less.
Summary for 2009 to Date from GofishBC.com for Peace Region looks like they are restocking existing populations of eastern Brookies

Species /2009 Total

Eastern Brook Trout / 12,000

Rainbow Trout / 40,900

Total / 52,900

Season Waterbody Nearest Town Lake Species Req_Stock Number Stage
SPRING BEAVER (BEAVER LAKE) FORT NELSON BEAVER RB FRASER VALLEY 3N 500 Catchable
SPRING BOOT (FOOT LAKE) TUMBLER RIDGE BOOT EB AYLMER AF3N 5000 Fingerling
SPRING BOOT (FOOT LAKE) TUMBLER RIDGE BOOT RB BLACKWATER R AF3N 3500 Yearling
SPRING BORROW PIT # 1 () PROPHET RIVER BORROW PIT # 1 RB BLACKWATER R AF3N 500 Yearling
SPRING BORROW PIT # 2 () FORT NELSON BORROW PIT # 2 RB BLACKWATER R AF3N 500 Yearling
SPRING BORROW PIT # 4 () FORT NELSON BORROW PIT # 4 RB BLACKWATER R AF3N 500 Yearling
SPRING BORROW PIT # 8 () FORT NELSON BORROW PIT # 8 RB FRASER VALLEY 3N 500 Catchable
SPRING BOULDER (LEEP-KOW LAKE) CHETWYND BOULDER RB PENNASK AF3N 1500 Yearling
SPRING CHUNAMUN (CHUNAMUN LAKE) HUDSON HOPE CHUNAMUN RB BLACKWATER R AF3N 2500 Yearling
SPRING HEART (HART) CHETWYND HEART RB FRASER VALLEY 3N 750 Catchable
SPRING HEART (HART) CHETWYND HEART EB AYLMER AF3N 2000 Fingerling
SPRING INGA () WONOWON INGA RB BLACKWATER R AF3N 5000 Yearling
SPRING INGA () WONOWON INGA RB BLACKWATER R 2N 5000 Yearling
SPRING IVER (SNOW LAKE) CHETWYND IVER RB BLACKWATER R AF3N 1500 Yearling
SPRING MOOSE () GWILLIM LK REC AREA MOOSE RB PENNASK AF3N 5000 Yearling
SPRING ONE ISLAND () DAWSON CREEK ONE ISLAND EB AYLMER AF3N 5000 Fingerling
SPRING ONE ISLAND () DAWSON CREEK ONE ISLAND RB BLACKWATER R AF3N 5000 Yearling
SPRING PETE () MOBERLY LAKE PETE RB PENNASK AF3N 1500 Yearling
SPRING QUALITY () TUMBLER RIDGE QUALITY RB FRASER VALLEY 3N 1500 Catchable
SPRING STEWART () DAWSON CREEK STEWART RB PENNASK AF3N 2500 Yearling
SPRING SUNDANCE () CHETWYND SUNDANCE RB PENNASK AF3N 2500 Yearling
SPRING WRIGHT () HUDSON HOPE WRIGHT RB BLACKWATER R AF3N 1000 Yearling

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Bobo!
I haven't had a chance to slip away on the weekends (hoping to get up there this one or next). is now a good time to head up there or are we still a little early? if i navigate through all the forks in the road and make it up there i will let you know how it goes....

Todd

1 - 20 of 24 Posts