BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Damn that water looks cold! Nice fish though! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Holy Balls !!! im glad to see there is some big ones in there again. I heard it had 90% killed a couple years ago. My biggest in there was a whopping 12/13lbs !!! but i think ones of that size arent around anymore but could be making a come back :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Holy Balls !!! im glad to see there is some big ones in there again. I heard it had 90% killed a couple years ago. My biggest in there was a whopping 12/13lbs !!! but i think ones of that size arent around anymore but could be making a come back :)
Logan Lake has amazing growth rates based on the shiner population. It did totally winterkill a few years back but was, consequently, restocked immediately. It's really too bad that the lake is right beside the highway because it would make for a beautiful backcountry lake. There was some concern voiced by the "powers that be" that the shiners would get into Chartrand Creek, into connecting Guichon Creek and eventually into Tunkwa.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The biggest fish I have seen caught at Logan was last august and it weighed about 6lb's. Lots of rumors around of 9lber's as well. I was talking to a regular on the lake and he was telling me about the shiners and when he showed me his fly boxes, I didn't see any shiner patterns in there and I haven't heard of anybody else using them.
ttyl,
Brian

·
Registered
271 Posts
I will have some Xmas trees or muddlers in my box for those big boys ;) Shiner type things seem to work good early, like just after ice off down near the aerator. The year i got the big one and several others i was casting large lures from shore, color didnt matter at all and the strikes were savage. I even had 3 snap me on the strike with 8lb test !!!

·
Esteban was Eaten!
338 Posts
I'm just waiting on an order of fish skulls and then I'll tie up some shiner patterns. Maybe I'll break them in on Logan Lake.

·
Esteban was Eaten!
338 Posts
I ordered them online:
http://www.flymenfishingcompany.com/

I bought two packs of 10 in silver and copper in the smaller sizes.

I was planning on bringing them into my local fly shop to suggest that they stock them, if they prove to be good.

If you don't want to go through the headache of ordering them, and then being disappointed, I can always send you a few to try out before you commit.

They're only 6.95USD for every package. In the end, through Paypal, I paid about 18.50CAD for the two packs and shipping.

They had some appeal to me as a newer member of the tying community, because trying to build a head on a baitfish pattern is a little intimidating when you already have a habit of crowding the hook up near the eye (You should have seen my first Tom Thumb attempt -> UGLY).

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I ordered them online:
http://www.flymenfishingcompany.com/

I bought two packs of 10 in silver and copper in the smaller sizes.

I was planning on bringing them into my local fly shop to suggest that they stock them, if they prove to be good.

If you don't want to go through the headache of ordering them, and then being disappointed, I can always send you a few to try out before you commit.

They're only 6.95USD for every package. In the end, through Paypal, I paid about 18.50CAD for the two packs and shipping.

They had some appeal to me as a newer member of the tying community, because trying to build a head on a baitfish pattern is a little intimidating when you already have a habit of crowding the hook up near the eye (You should have seen my first Tom Thumb attempt -> UGLY).
Damn you Steve! Just went to their website and was forced to order a bunch of tungsten Nymph Heads and Fish Skulls! I hate Pay Pal, it's too easy! I hope you ordered some Steelhead Blue! No? Well you better log back on.

·
Esteban was Eaten!
338 Posts
I offered to send you some samples to use!!!

Actually, I'm recently graduated and intentionally unemployed, so my bank account can't suffer the hit that all this fishing is placing on it. I spent the last $20 in my paypal on those Fishskulls. LOL

I might have to cash out my RRSP in Australia to pay for some more fishing.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I offered to send you some samples to use!!!

Actually, I'm recently graduated and intentionally unemployed, so my bank account can't suffer the hit that all this fishing is placing on it. I spent the last $20 in my paypal on those Fishskulls. LOL

I might have to cash out my RRSP in Australia to pay for some more fishing.
Samples schmamples! LOL

I suffer from a very serious sickness.............I am not capable of buying small amounts of anything flytying!

Thanks for the offer but I needed to look for myself and those colours of Nymph Heads are to die for! Good Lawdy Miss Clawdy!

Yes it is the wee hours of the morning and I'm a little punchy!

·
Esteban was Eaten!
338 Posts
Well, you let me know how those Nymph Heads work out for you. I'm just about to slip some more money into my Paypal and buy some, but I think I'll wait.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Steve - i just got back from a weekend at Logan and gunmetal chironies and John's "dirty olive" both in size 12's were the ticket for us.
Good to hear. That Dirty Olive has always been great in Logan Lake and it works elsewhere but not as regularly as at Logan. Go figure.

·
Esteban was Eaten!
338 Posts
Beauty!

I was thinking about doing a trip up there for sh*ts and giggles some time soon.

Also, I got my fish skulls in. I just need some some good epoxy/super glue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts