BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone ever get a troublesome reoccurring twist in their running line?

I have this at the moment with a line I've been using a lot lately for tossing big drys, but I think I might have run across a common sense solution, but I've yet to test it out yet - I figure if I just let all the line out down river (without a fly on) and then reel in, most of the twist should be gone.

I've never had this happen before, but was reading about it on the CND page about line care while searching for info on their shooting head lines. I'm not sure if it's a result of a) poor casting technique, b) casting flies that tend to spin in the air, or c) something about how I first spooled the line since it's only about a month old...

Just figured I'd post this since there are always questions about running line and how to manage it. It's damn hard to manage twisted running line...

·
Registered
424 Posts
I find that that usually happens when your spooling you line, and is you pull the line off the side of the spool, instead of putting a pen through the spool of line and reeling directly at it so it spins and shoots the line off. It is a pain, the other reason could be that when your switching spools, or taking your spool of your line may miss the guide and strip off the side just like when your spooling line onto the reel. Thats happened to me a few times also.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, I had the line come off the side a few times while spooling it. The problem is now corrected. I did have a pencil in there, but it fell off it's spot mid way through the process and made a mess which took a while to untangle.

G

·
every once in a it pays to cast a couple of times without a fly on the end of your line. This will allow your line to straighten itself out from the natural torque that is created with casting, especially when spey casting.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good tip there Heron. It's also nice if you suck at spey casting like I do. For some reason taking off the fly and tying on a small chunk of wool makes it so much easier to cast as well. Kinda like when you go to the driving range and for some reason that slice just disappears!

·
Registered
424 Posts
good analogy, btree golf and fishing go hand in hand, even reasons to blame other variables :p i.e range and he fly hahah, i know I do

·
Registered
10 Posts
Line twist will naturally happen in the course of handling the line, below are a couple tricks I use to reduce line twist in running line and any fly line:
If you coil the line in your hand when you strip it in, alternate the loops by rotating the hand you are using to hold the loops. Here is a better explanation.
Only strip as much line off the reel as you are casting, the excess line will 'store' the twists, line that is aerialized will tend to untwist.
Before you start fishing and then when you are having issues with twist, strip all the line off the reel to the backing and slightly stretch it preferably in a running stream allowing it to untwist and uncoil then reel it back on.

Hope this helps
Dan

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have had some very frustrating twists happen when casting flies like Gurglers (air resistant and bulky) with a 5 wt floater. Even after staightening the line and stretching it, it twists again eventually. Might have to buy a bass bug taper...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts