BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Leader is generally a length of (usually) monofilament, most often tapered to assist in turning over the fly when cast, attached to the forward end of your fly line. Tippet is a piece of monofilament, the same strength or a bit lighter than the lightest part of the leader and attached to the forward part of the leader. It is also considerably shorter than the leader. eg. If you have a 9' leader, you would likely attach a tippet of around 2'. The purpose of the tippet is to allow you to change flies regularly (and losing a couple of inches each time you change) without affecting the length of the leader. Once the tippet gets too short 6"-8", it can be clipped off the leader (or not) and a new tippet attached to the leader or the tippet remnant.
Yes. you use a leader for all forms of fly fishing, as fly lines are too large to pass through the eye of a fly. while a tippet is always attached to a leader, leaders don't always have tippet attached to them...it is the choice of the angler. tippets and leaders

·
Registered
40 Posts
If your spey fishing just use a piece of Tippet. Thats all I use or anyone I fish with that spey fishes. something around 14-16lb strength 4-8 feet long and your good to go just tie a perfection loop on one end to connect to the sink tip and a non skip loop to the fly. Thats it

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
If your spey fishing just use a piece of Tippet. Thats all I use or anyone I fish with that spey fishes. something around 14-16lb strength 4-8 feet long and your good to go just tie a perfection loop on one end to connect to the sink tip and a non skip loop to the fly. Thats it
For clarification, you are using a level leader, not tippet. Leader attaches to your fly line, tippet attaches to your leader. I use the same set up when fishing a sink tip, a level leader consisting of one piece of 12-15 lb fluoro, 4-6 feet long. If I am using a floating tip on my switch, I go with a longer, tapered leader with a tippet attached to it.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I've used leader to collect them as well. I believe I have even collected one or two in the fly line when using short leaders. A goo collector uses whatever is handy.

Reactions: Shakes2582

·
Registered
88 Posts
The description above is essentially on the money but I would add that tapered leaders which at first were all knoted sections of line was made of 3 sections; the butt the heavy line that transitioned the energy from the fly line to the leader, the taper a section of short pieces of mono that declined in diameter and finally the tippet. Most commercial fly leaders are tapered in the extrusion die and so may go from a 25lb butt section then tapered own to say 18 inches of 3lb tippet. Once that tippet collects a few wind knots you'll want to snip it off for your collection and add a couple feet of tippet using a blood or surgeons knot.Many people do still build their tapered leaders the old way uses several pieces of line and it offers a way to fine tune the leader to specific uses while store bought leaders are often sort of generalized for a variety of uses. If you are speyfishing with a dry or floated line you will want to use a tapered leader, or perhaps a floating poly leader. With my switch rods I build 14 foot leaders that start with 40lb maxima.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts