BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I'd make a new post to avoid mucking the previous Skagit up:

I was up at the Skagit on the weekend and had some fun playing the small but scrappy Skagit river rainbows and on the trip down the hill back to Hope noticed that the river paralleling the road was not the Skagit rather the Klesilkwa. It appears to branch off the Skagit just past/under the 26 mile bridge. It also appears to be a nice river to fish yet I can't find any regs on it. I would assume that it would then follow the standard river regs (single barbless, 2 trout max 30cms and over). Can anyone confirm whether or not this river is open to fishing and whether or not it is any good? It seems as though the upper portion of the Skagit is the more productive but I'd still like to give the Klesilkwa a go if it could provide some of the same fun.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Nostrildmus - Are you talking about the river parallelling highway 3? If so, it is the Sumallo. The Sumallo joins the Skagit at Sumallo Grove. It is open to catch and release same as the Skagit. I have fished itg only once and had no real success, tho' the guys at Cheyenne Sports in Hope say it holds some Skagit sized rainbows.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. I'm talking about the river that parallels the FSR/dirt road that takes one up to Ross Lake and the provincial park which nearer civilization is named Silver Skagit Road.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Notice the asterisk (*) next to "Skagit". There is a footnote at the bottom of the page that includes all tributaries in the regulations. So, no retention. No bait.

I have looked at that creek a few times. It seemed like it would be pretty tough to get a cast in.

Dinsdale.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AHA! Thanks for that... sometimes I miss the small print. Well I'ts good to see that there's fishing there, or should be anyway. I've seen quite a few nice places along the middle portion of that river that I wouldn't mind giving a go if I had the time but seeing as how the same rules apply why wouldn't I just go up top to where I know the fishing is good?

Have any of you guys hooked into a Dolly up at Skagit? I'm looking to vary what I'm catching these days and I'd love to get into one. I've heard a beadhead leech is the fly of choice when tempting Dollies up there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
nostrildamus said:
Have any of you guys hooked into a Dolly up at Skagit? I'm looking to vary what I'm catching these days and I'd love to get into one. I've heard a beadhead leech is the fly of choice when tempting Dollies up there.
Check out the other Skagit threads.

Dinsdale.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You might want to try large stone flies I was up there last week an collected some rather large samples I collected one from the river bed that was about 1.25" long and I found several exoskelotons on my tent in the morning that were easily 2" inches long :shock: .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts