BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

Kettle River late April?

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  btree 
#1 ·
I'll be in Penticton for a few days in late April. I only fly-fish streams, always catch and release. From looking at the map, I see the Kettle River is near by. Anyone have advice on the Kettle or perhaps other rivers near by at that time of year? I only have 1 day for a fishing outing. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Many miles of river to fish - Pack your mayflies!

If the water is still not coloured up, you should get some action on mayflies, both drys and nymphs. Any particular area you're planning on hitting? If you want to do a float from Ingram Bridge down to Midway (a full day for sure), you could call Steve Stewart in Midway, I think he's in the book. He rents canoes and might even accompany you if the beer is cold. He's lived in Midway for ages and is a real character (an ozzie trapped in canada for a few decades).

If you want wilder water (fewer people around) you can always head up to Westbridge. A nice float is from the bridge on the West Kettle down to the confluence with the main river, then down to the Kettle River Provincial Park.

PM me if you want more details or ideas - let me know more about your specifics.

If the water is up and cloudy, fishing will be tough to impossible. My records from when I was a kid say that the river tends to be up somewhere from the last week in April/first week in May till near the end of June depending on the snow pack and spring rains, so you'll either be in luck or washed out...the ice should be coming off the lakes for super chroni fishing though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.