BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a beginners kit from Michael and Young on Saturday and started a tying frenzy shortly thereafter. I'm heading up to Kamloops on the weekend so I thought I would outfit myself with the appropriate flies in the appropriate colours. It's been a lot of fun learning and I sure could use a hand from some seasoned professionals. I've been tying damselfly nymphs, dragonfly nymphs, mayflies, beadhead nymphs. I'm still a bit shaky with the whip finisher and can't seem to tie in a good set of legs on any of my flies. It's a tonne of fun though and I look forward to catching something on a fly that I've tied.

I noticed that Stone said he couldn't make it out to Coquitlam for a tying night. I don't think I would make that drive either as I live in Van. Are there others that would be interested in getting together somewhere for a tying night somewhere closer to the city???

p.s. A tip to all beginners. No double espressos before tying on size 12-16 hooks.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
nostrildamus-
I'm heading up to Kamloops on the weekend so I thought I would outfit myself with the appropriate flies in the appropriate colours.
I just got back in town from the Merrit area. Huge numbers of small caddis all over the place (we were at about 4500 ft). They were hitting Tom Thumbs and bodyless Caddis in 12 - 16 sizes. Could also tie up some Mikaluk Sedges in smaller sizes. Don't forget about leeches - black, brown, olive and maroon. Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see the bodyless Caddis which you mention is merely a caddis pattern tied without dubbing. Deer or elk hair on top of the shank and nothing but. Is this correct? I can't seem to find any tying instructions with a picture for this anywhere. Sounds simple but from what I've read it doesn't stand up well over time once a fish or two have their way with it. Should float well though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nostrildamus Posted: Tuesday 08th of August 2006 08
p.s. A tip to all beginners. No double espressos before tying on size 12-16 hooks.
I think that can be said for tiers of all levels :D ...Tying flys after tying one off is also not recommended... :lol:

Finder :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.