BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
June Fly O' the Month: Callibaetis (Mayfly) Any size!! Post your pictures in this thread and they also must be uploaded in this months Fly O' the Month Gallery to qualify for the prize. Click this link to see the new monthly prizes and detials (New Fly Line) available for this contest. Happy tying, lets see those Callibaetis patterns!

Winner of June FOTM wins one, of these, ;)

Snowbee XS WF6ND
- [Line Specs]
WFF – XS Floating Fly Line (Ivory) The long standing flagship of the range, the original Prestige, no frills and without doubt still one, if not the best floating fly line available today. Its unique combination of ultra-low friction coating, superbly balanced profile and outstanding shootability, makes this a fly line which enhances the performance of the world’s best fly rods and brings out the best in casters of every ability. Lines provided by Nile Creek Fly Shop.

DSCN3083.jpg

RickB

·
Registered
205 Posts
I love tying split tails, now I just have to get some new glasses to do some:peace:. I hear my size 16 hooks calling.......

·
Registered
66 Posts
Usually I avoid tying small dries because I find them so frustrating, but lately I have been working on my patience as well as a few cripple mayfly patterns.

The idea for this one came from Lawsons PMD cripple pattern.

Hook: Daiichi 1260 sz. 16
Shuck: Olive and brown marabou
Body: Pheasant tail
Rib: Olive flat and fine
Thorax: Yellow lama fibre
Wings: Elk
Hackle: Dun

·
Registered
348 Posts

Hook----size 16
Thread----brown
Tail----two dun hackle tips stripped
Body----peacock herl stripped
Wings----Two Light Dun hackle tips
Hackle----Light Dun

·
Registered
350 Posts

Hook----size 16
Thread----brown
Tail----two dun hackle tips stripped
Body----peacock herl stripped
Wings----Two Light Dun hackle tips
Hackle----Light Dun
now that is a brilliant pic of Ur fly m8...wish my camera would take clear close up shots...and the fly...well..lol just kidding..also great...AW

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ill try to upload this week, worked all weekend so ill get one up hopefully this week

·
Registered
350 Posts
poor pic...

Gary...you have no idea how frustrating it is to take a close up shot with this camera I have and paid good $$$$ for it to boot..Oh well, I'll buy another and this time one that is water proof and is dynamite with close ups....just hope ppl can see my flies good enough to copy..........AW

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gary...you have no idea how frustrating it is to take a close up shot with this camera I have and paid good $$$$ for it to boot..Oh well, I'll buy another and this time one that is water proof and is dynamite with close ups....just hope ppl can see my flies good enough to copy..........AW
Hey AW, have you used your macro?
Macro.jpg

Look for this image in your settings of the camera and make sure its on when taking close ups. Also make sure you hold the take picture button down half way so the camera can focus before you snap the picture. The other thing that works good for close ups is your scanner, just put the fly in the scanner and scan it, works great!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hey AW, have you used your macro?
View attachment 1601

Look for this image in your settings of the camera and make sure its on when taking close ups. Also make sure you hold the take picture button down half way so the camera can focus before you snap the picture. The other thing that works good for close ups is your scanner, just put the fly in the scanner and scan it, works great!
yeah....I got that and used it but it could be me...the scanner bit sounds like a plan Rick..I'm going to give it a try and see how it comes out..only thing is I wanted to show off the upper wing material , cause it has a blue sheen to it..maybe it will show up..........thanks for that..Oh yeah..PM to U for the rod!..........Daniel

·
Registered
424 Posts
welll AW i would like to thank you for letting me forget about uploaing as theres no way to top your's, very nice fly

·
Registered
350 Posts
welll AW i would like to thank you for letting me forget about uploaing as theres no way to top your's, very nice fly
come on.. now ...what a lame excuse, using me so you don't have to create a fly...
..well I do thank you for the complement though, that was nice, BUT..I do expect to see one from you ..you know seeing how I told you about the quarry!....
.......AW

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
WOW! You just raised the bar....You are right a camera that takes good close ups is needed, because flies like that need to be shown off.:):thumbsup:
Thats not fair you guys...some great tiers here..my eyes are so bad all I can do is wonder what it would be like to tie a size 14
C

·
Registered
424 Posts
speaking of the quarry, I went over there and checked it out, but the road was blocked off and you could see the party off in the backgound and didn't feel like dealing with them.

[EDIT] Lets keep it within the subject folks!! :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
I said that I would be posting a fly, I tied up one really nice and was going to upload it, went to take the pic, and my cameras a peice of junk that I cant get a good picture out of it, not even a picture that you can tell it's a fly. I tired to scan it, but all the hackle gets pressed down and the wings get moved out of the way, making it an ugly looking fly.

Not this month, I'll go and find a better camera before the end of next month so that I dont have this problem again.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I said that I would be posting a fly, I tied up one really nice and was going to upload it, went to take the pic, and my cameras a peice of junk that I cant get a good picture out of it, not even a picture that you can tell it's a fly. I tired to scan it, but all the hackle gets pressed down and the wings get moved out of the way, making it an ugly looking fly.

Not this month, I'll go and find a better camera before the end of next month so that I dont have this problem again.
you and me both ...but for now I got my camera to work again ...will try a new pic this weekend......AW

·
Registered
101 Posts
I may as well take a shot at this one.

Size 12 nymph hook
Tail: Pheasant tail
Under body: Olive antron dubbing
Gills: Olive ostritch herl
Rib: 2lb mono
Shellback: Olive scud back
Legs: Olive mallard flank

1 - 20 of 31 Posts