BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
January Fly O' the Month - Chironomids! Any size, any color !! Post your pictures in this thread and they also must be uploaded in this months Fly O' the Month Gallery to qualify for the prize. Happy tying, lets see those chironomids! Prizes: johnk will be donating 1 dozen of his own commercial tied flies to this months and i will be donating 6 custom tied flies from members of the forum to the winner. Lets see those creations!!

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Ya, sounds like a good FOTM topic! I saw some midges gathered around the light outside my front door this morning :)

[/url][/IMG]

Calling this one "Green Lantern" because it kinda glows. Loving that pearl tinsel. It's a really dynamic material which changes depending on what's under it.

Hook - this one is size 12
Thread - charcoal 8/0
Under Body - 1/4 tag of red thread, the rest of the body of brown floss.
Over Body - pearl tinsel
Rib - fine red wire
Thorax - peacock herle
Wing case - black pheasant with a strip of medium pearl tinsel
Gills - UV dubbing

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi, I'm fairly new to tying and most of my vise time last summer was dedicated to tying streamers/darners for all the stillwater I was fishing. This winter I have been trying to improve my skill's in dry's and other types of tying, so this will be a good start for my chironnies. Yes, I've never fished them either so this gives me an excuse to try. So here it goes! My very first attempt at chironomids :)

Material List: Hook- Size 14
Thread- 8/0 black
Rib- silver wire gr. 5
Head- peacock herl
Tail- crystal flash
gil- I didn't have floss for this so I used what i had which was a piece of ribbon from a soap package, when cut frayed like floss :p

Here's another (hopefully better) attempt

one more :)

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice flies guys, keep them coming! I thought with the weather and time of year, people would be all over this months FOTM :confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
one "Green Lantern" because it kinda glows. Loving that pearl tinsel. It's a really dynamic material which changes depending on what's under it.
Thats an awsome looking fly btree you inspired me to pick up some pearl tinsel today, gonna see what i can do with it. :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Mirage

Mirage makes for awesome chironomids. It's available in opal and pearl with very little difference but the opal seems to be more effective and light refraction seems to have more effect on it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mirage makes for awesome chironomids. It's available in opal and pearl with very little difference but the opal seems to be more effective and light refraction seems to have more effect on it.
Mirage you say? doh! I may have picked up the wrong stuff :0 guess it's back to the fly shop for me tomorrow, oh darn :) . Thanks Johnk!

·
Registered
383 Posts
still have not got the macro mode figured so these pics are not the best

Tried tying a version using liquid lace on tmc hooks in sizes 12 to 20. Those wee ones are a blast...but are hard on old eyes to tie. Sure hope the fish love them.

Hooks TMC 12, 14 and 20 I believe model 2457
red midge size liquid lace filled with mineral oil. on the size 12 the hook was colored black along the upper bit of the shank before running the liquid lace down and back up. Size 12 has a bead which is black on the top and bottom with white on either side with peacock herl thorax and partridge legs. The size 14 has a black bead and only herl throax to also represent the legs, while the size 20 is a head made of thread wraps with a roughed up bit of thread on the bottom of the head to imply legs/breathers or whatever.

Most of the chironomids that I tie are basically copies of what works for others who have indicated significant success on theirs, and these are also simplified versions of what i found to work for me last summer on local lakes in the Peace Region that were based on the Ultimate Chironomid tied by several flytyers in the Kamloops area. I also tied versions that have fine silver wire running up the shank over the top of the liquid lace in the area between wraps, to improve and accent the segmentation and the appearance of gas accumulations prior to its rise in the water column.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm still learning John! You have probably tied more chironomids in the last week than I have in my lifetime, I might have 50? in my box now.

When I first started tying them some had gills and some did not, after catching fish on the ones without gills I just got lazy and left them out of the recent ones.

·
Registered
383 Posts

stillwaters 1/8 inch Black bead part #BB1/8BLKZ
Antron gills
Silver Holographic Mylar underbody
Red Translucent medium size Liquid Lace for the body
Dai-Riki #135 Scud/Pupa hook 1x strong/1x short size 10
Red Danville Flymaster Plus thread

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'm still learning John! You have probably tied more chironomids in the last week than I have in my lifetime, I might have 50? in my box now.

When I first started tying them some had gills and some did not, after catching fish on the ones without gills I just got lazy and left them out of the recent ones.
No worries. Just riding you like a rented mule!

Here is my take on omitting gills. All the variables we, as chironomid fishers, have to consider when the fish aren't biting, by tying in gills, that is one small variable that can be crossed off the list. With that said, you are right, at times the gills don't matter a bit to the fish.......at times. If you've ever observed a really prolific hatch and looked over the side of the boat and watched a natural nearing the surface, sometimes the gills are so stark white and prominent that you are sure that's what the fish are keying on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts