BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
......to catch a wild BC steelhead!!!! My fishing partner and I have been talking about a BC steelhead trip for two decades, and we've finally gottten to a place in our live where we can do it. We are planning on visiting the Smithers/Hazelton/Terrace area next fall.
Can anyone out there make some recommendations as to places to stay and guides. we are open to which river(s) we fish. I appreciate any advice, thanks a bunch!
Chris

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Fall Steelhead

:) Hello Chris;
welcome to the madness so many of enjoy. The first fishy question is are you a Canadian citizen....? these Rivers are classified and that will determine your access and costs. What time in the Fall and what type of gear are you going to use.?
Two handed rods seem to be the thing for those big rivers but not totally necessary....the Kispiox,Bulkley and Skeena ;to name a few and all easy casting rivers...but in big water the "Spey " rod is king...big flies,big water!
Contact me if you need to
C

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My fishing partner and I are from the states. I was aware of daily permits for each river, but was not aware that there could be accessibility problems.
We will both be using fly rods, and although I already have at least a dozen #8 and 9 rods, I plan on getting a two-hander. (any recommendations as far as length and weight are appreciated!) I can't wait to start tying this winter. Several rabbits will have to die for all the bunny leeches I'll be tying!
My biggest concern is where to stay. I want to be as close to the action as possible without having to spend 5,000 bucks!
Thanks for replying,
Chris

·
Registered
124 Posts
Is tenting a possibility for you and your partner? A fraction the cost of a lodge...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've done enough camping in my life to know what that's like. When the weather is nice, camping is OK but I'm just getting too old for that. If there was a sweet campsite right on a key drift, I might be tempted to camp for a couple nights out of our week long trip though.
I was hoping to find something between a campground and Silver Hilton Lodge as far as expense, convenience and amenities.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Chris, I visited the Kispiox now for 16 years in September and I always go to the Kispiox Steelhead Camp near Hazelton. It's only 300 yards away from the river and has not too expensive 2-person cabins available.
Kispiox is very close of course but Bulkey is also within reach.
Take a look at my site: www.steelhead.nl there are some pictures on it

greetz, Bram

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bram, thanks for the great info. Your website is great, and has a lot of the info I was looking for. How ironic that someone who lives in EUROPE has more info on the the fishing in BC than the people who live there. I will contact you directly very soon.
Chris

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Potatoe's

Hello Ty;
Good to hear from you's again...great video....lovely run and nice weather...
I am off in the AM for a Kickboat Drift down one of our rivers ....unfortunately I will have to drift the upper sections of this system because there are way too many Jet Boats tearing up the lower river...such a shame...nevertheless,we will get fish and have a great day doing it..the rains have subsided and the weather is in our favor...for the time at least
C

1 - 9 of 9 Posts