BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I you mean "Anglers West", then yes, it is closed unfortunately. Maynards Autioneers was holding a sale there last Thursday, although I did not go. There's been several posts regarding the store's closure on other forums... :cry: .

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the bad news Magician. I changed the title in case anyone else was browsing the threads. West Coast tackle did'nt sound right and now I know why. Why do all the good guys lose there shops?

G

·
Because as one X freind/tackle dealer told me it is a cutthroat business and the ones who succeed stick it to the rest. Not my ethics but that is what I was told. Too bad everyone can't work together so everyone stays a float.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
:? :? It isn't a surprise..although very disappointing...a good idea with too much ego and not enough focus..the BassPro shop will arrive and then we tackle sellers have to really focus on our niche such as Hardy/Greys and Beulah...providing real service and smiles. It is not necessary that a store be located on Main Street anywhere but service and quality with care.The other side of the equation as serious Fly Fishers is to truely suport our local shops... or they won't be there

·
Registered
25 Posts
First "Ruddicks" closes after all these years now "Anglers West" which now only leaves "Michael & Young" and "Sea Run/Babcock" in the city as true fly shops. Or am I missing someone?

Like every business it is ruthless because there are only so many customers to go around. Where the shops have it tough is that most of their sales are in low end items. Once a customer buys the 4-5 rods he needs plus reels and a few spools then files them with line he's almost set for life. Rod manufacturers hurt the dealer because most provide lifetime repairs at n/c, reels last years and even today's lines last 5 years.

How often do you buy new boots or waders? Every 5 years?

So what's left for the shop owner to sell; flies, fly tieing material, leader, miscellaneous clothing, etc. It's tough to stay in business selling low ticket items. Like other posts before if we don't support the true flyfishing shops and just go to the "budget shops" (no names mentioned) for the sake of saving a few buck we will lose the last of the shops in the lower mainland.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
:? It is truely sad to see these shops going ...and you are correct in your assessment of "lifetime warranties',5 year lines and other such devises that provide the consumer with not too many reasons to visit a shop unless there is chitchat and coffee(free). It is ironic that Hardy has just released a new fly reel called the "Zane TE" priced at a mere $9,600.00 plus the almighty taxes! A good reason to visit any shop I would think....just what I need to fish chum!
I am off to Uculet for a few Hali's,hopefully some Coho on the Fly ,some great photos and enough info' to write an article .
I understand the players at "Anglers West" ,where they must be at and times will get better......small,niche and realistic ...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Angler's West did not close due to lack of business or customer support. The relationship between business partners was unhealthy and digressed beyond repair. In an attempt to dissolve the partnership terms were reached and then not entirely upheld ( which legally is not upheld as there is no in between contractually).

The shop and the staff were by far the best in my brief experience in this sport. I have since visited five other shops and have yet to be equally impressed by the comfort created and knowledge demonstrated by the staff at Angler's West.

That all being said Reaction at the Whatcom Rd. 'Mall' is my new and only shop. It opens early and stays open late so you can hit it on the way out of town and grab deisel and eats and be back on the road just like that.

Smoother than the prom queen's thighs if you ask me. They have been super helpful and knowledgeable and offer tons of support.

·
Registered
12 Posts
???????????

I've been away from here for sometime, but wished to weigh in and say a few things...

Thanks Lastcar, you pretty much nailed it on the head. SalaR misses it by a mile...

Partnerships are funny things and everybody says avoid them unless you are absolutely certain it can work...I was pretty certain, and never thought my esteemed partner would so manipulate things to his advantage and spin the tale of woe he did afterwards. It sucks, he's done, I'm screwed...he's got a pocket full of cash, well above and beyond anything fair or reasonable in every profession opinion I sought, but all nice and legal, so he feels justified....he just can't figure out why nobody wants to speak to him anymore???

As for the shop model, I'll tell you this...ego's perhaps...(ironically it was my partners ego that scared away so many in the beginning I'm told now, I thought it was the his cuff-links and Mercedes out front)...but the shop worked, and worked very well...this had NOTHING to do with business success and everything to do with greed and selfishness. end of story

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
a river that never sleeps....oooooh

Uliwon...Good to see you back!
....for one to succeed we must try try again...behind every success is a series of mistakes and "failures"...,Partnerships are simple,clarity or your dead! It will never change.............Lawyers always tell us that, yet "we know better"...I also have anger from a very similar experience a few years ago...different business yet I left the door open and my back wasn't covered..ouch!!!
The big stores are coming...they could care less...I like cigars,leather,wood floors,too much stuff and of course,fish tales...
By the way,the rivers are blown out over here...badly again,,almost too much. Perhaps casting to Steelhead in open slots on frozen Ontario and New York State rivers wasn't too bad afterall? ...."No," a correct decision was made...

·
Registered
12 Posts
the cigars and leather furniture was his idea...some days elling $1200 worth of Tobacco didn't hurt either, but eventually they went away...

The wood floor was the single greatest fixture we had.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Shack

...when I was much younger i would visit this small fly fishing shack located on the Miramichi River at the confluence of the Renous River in northern New Brunswick...It was magic...from early May to October you had to pick your time very carefully to get in it was so small.Cigar smoke,I mean really old wood floors(probably spruce),ancient pictures of what once was great and who's who of Atlantic Salmon fly fishers includeing Lee Wulff,Ted Williams(who was a regular there),even pictures of Marilyn Munroe with Ted... and so many others. 200 Yards away we would join in the procession of fly casters swinging their flies along the major slick caused by the water flows meeting...every caster carefully placeing his fly to hook that elusive Salmon..every caster taking his turn..good fishng manners...
By the way,that caster did hurt his arm ...but is ok now...as you know so many single handed casters when they convert try to throw the rod...and not use the rod...
C

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mr. Uliwon,

Godd to see you decided to poke around, I will sat that Your shop was the prettiest shop I will probably ever see. And I mean that in a most manly way :)It was just a shame I went and moved so far out into the valley just after you opened it. But it did force me into meeting the Bergler him himself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Uli, how are things coming with the new store?

I have been keeping an eye on that address and was getting excited as it was obvious something was brewing inside. I drove by the other day and saw on the brown paper 'Coming soon The Zulu Club'.

Did a better location turn up? Where doesn't matter, what does matter is that you are coming back with a store that is on par or better than the previous....it is greatly missed by one who lives in Vancouver. The other guys just don't get it, maybe in Surrey but not in Vancouver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I went by last week. It wasn't yet open, but I got a personal tour from Jason. The store looks fantastic. Jason said that they were about a week behind schedule, so be sure to drop by next weekend.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts