BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am curious about hidden as well. We used to go up the 3rd weekend in April and the last few years it was still frozen by then. We are planning on heading up from the coast on the 27th and hope it is free by then. Any updates would be appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Bopper, hopefully the heat melts the snow, the same thing happened last year, the road was still full of snow yet the lake was actually free of ice:cheers:

·
Registered
216 Posts
I had a friend drive through on Saturday the 14th and everything was still frozen.. He said it was snowing on his way back to the lower mainland so I doubt it's going to open for the weekend...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the response John, Is the lake ice free though? Who takes the O2 readings? At what depth? Can the public get those results? And are all lakes tested?

No good news for Pass. The O2 readings at the end of February were dangerously low and my local connections were sure it would have a partial kill at best.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Thanks for the response John, Is the lake ice free though? Who takes the O2 readings? At what depth? Can the public get those results? And are all lakes tested?
I doubt the lake is ice free yet. Steve Maricle is the small lakes biologist for Kamloops. His office is in the Ministry of Environment Building. If I remember correctly his phone number is 250 371 6253 and you can phone him and ask for the info. He checks a good number of the lakes and the Kamloops Flyfishing Club checks many as well. I think the majority of lakes are tested and especially the ones of concern.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow, your well acquainted with the right people..thats great! Thanks for his number but i don't think i would call him directly as i don't know the guy and would feel intrusive. I hit Pass lake last year around the same time and it was 3 days after ice off and had a great time. I really want to go there again if there is any chance that it will even have a little fishable open water by next weekend. Do you know of any other lakes in the interior where i could go to have a chance at some 4lb or bigger fish that would be iced off by next weekend? I want to camp out at the same lake during the weekend with my friends then 2-3 other lakes during the week when i am alone. Thanks again for the info on Pass.

I doubt the lake is ice free yet. Steve Maricle is the small lakes biologist for Kamloops. His office is in the Ministry of Environment Building. If I remember correctly his phone number is 250 371 6253 and you can phone him and ask for the info. He checks a good number of the lakes and the Kamloops Flyfishing Club checks many as well. I think the majority of lakes are tested and especially the ones of concern.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Wow, your well acquainted with the right people..thats great! Thanks for his number but i don't think i would call him directly as i don't know the guy and would feel intrusive. I hit Pass lake last year around the same time and it was 3 days after ice off and had a great time. I really want to go there again if there is any chance that it will even have a little fishable open water by next weekend. Do you know of any other lakes in the interior where i could go to have a chance at some 4lb or bigger fish that would be iced off by next weekend? I want to camp out at the same lake during the weekend with my friends then 2-3 other lakes during the week when i am alone. Thanks again for the info on Pass.
There are lots, and I mean lots, that call Steve about Kamloops lakes and winterkill. Call the switchboard at 250 371 6200 and ask for the info. During my time managing Tunkwa for 9 years I had lots of interaction with biologist Brian Chan and then his successor, Steve Maricle, and believe me, they are both down to earth humans with a passion for the Kamloops lakes. The day before I left for Alberta I got a "conference call" from both of them with well wishes. that's just the type of guys they are.

STORY:
First off, don't ask me the name of the lake because I won't tell. Found this lake in the backcountry between Tunkwa and Bose Lake and noticed some rise rings so on my next day off i took my stepson and we went and fished it. Wow is all I can say. All juvenile 2 year old fish and every fish was between 3.5 and 4 lbs. Curiousity led me to phoning Brian Chan and I found out they dumped 1000 fish in there from the sky 2 years before and didn't know if they would survive the winter. We had awesome fishing for two seasons and then it winterkilled.

In the meantime Brian had resigned his position to spearhead the startup of FFSBC and Steve Maricle stepped in. A year later I asked Steve about restocking the lake and he said they weren't stocking any new lakes. I told him that Brian had stocked the lake with fingerlings they had left one fall. Steve had to do some serious digging and finally had to bring Brian in to confirm that the lake had, indeed, been stocked and after a full day of redtape and paperwork they got the OK to restock the lake. That was a year before I left for Alberta and the guys at Tunkwa tell me the lake is doing fine. Don't know if it has winterkilled again or not.....

Back to winterkill, it is worthwhile keeping in mind that Island Lake in the Highland Valley has varying degrees of winterkill every year. I used to fish the lake right after ice-off every year and there were always dead fish on the bottom in front of the campsites and usually the biggest fish in the lake as they are the first to go.

As for lakes with 4 lbs+ fish there are several. Morgan, Jacko, Stump, Tunkwa, Marquart, Lundbom, Hamilton and the lsit goes on...... the first two are day use only and most people don't realize there are campsites on Stump. Many lakes under 3500' are icing off and should be good to go by the weekend.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
any news on the road to hidden?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks again for the valuable info John, i appreciate it very much. I'm heading up Friday afternoon so i will need to choose a few lakes that are located near each other in case the campsites are all taken as i have 2 other friends that are coming as well. For all those reading up on the forums >>>Has anyone seen Pass lake this past weekend? Is there any chance that it will ice off by next weekend? I would like to take my chances on the winterkill..worse case scenario we just camp there for the night and tell fish stories from last year ! lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Corbett and Courtney ice still on, ready to sink any minute. Colour different each day I drove past this weekend, now looking almost blue.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts