BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

Ice off Reports 2010

9K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  deanochino 
#1 ·
I know its early,maybe the cabin fever is getting to me:rolleyes::p,but lets keep our eyes open to interior lakes as they should start to thaw(pics to post etal):cheers:

Cheers
Cap

#2 ·
Ya, just a tad early! In my years at Tunkwa the average ice-off date was April 20th. Six Mile and Morgan are traditionally iced off around April 1st. Steve Maricle does 02 testing on those lakes at the end of February and then we'll know the thickness of the ice and then you can predict more accurately when the ice will go.

#4 · (Edited)
The way things are going, Marquart should be open mid April. As far as Morgan goes, I've been there every year for the April 1st opening strictly for tradition. Have never had great fishing then and it could have something to do with 30 trucks parked there. The best day I ever had there was about three years ago on April 30th during a monster callibaetis hatch. Had adults in my ears, in my nose, around my eyes and all over my arms. Back to the question, I think you would be safe by April 15th for some decent action. I'll phone Steve Maricle at the end of February and find out how much ice there is and that can be a good predictor of ice-off. As far as turnover goes, I like to slap some leeches on the water before turnover but the problem with Morgan is there are almost no shoals.

#7 ·
Tunkwa still has ice, but there is open water and I saw someone on the web cam fishing yesterday (still lots of ice in the centre tho'). Sheridan is showing open water as well.

#8 · (Edited)
I'm up in Kamloops now and I am going to hit some lakes over the next four days. I'm hoping to get to Tunkwa later in the week, if the thaw continues.

I'm told that Jacko, Six Mile, Morgan and Red have all turned over. Campbell, Scuitto and Edith are ice free, but not sure if they've turned.

I am thinking of hitting Six Mile (Pat) tomorrow. Wish me luck! I'll post a report.

#13 ·
there was a report on the news about lake levels in the okanagan or something and they showed pictures of oyama lake, and it had open water at the edges but still looked pretty solid in the middle. Pinaus and square lake above falkland look to be ice free since they where stocked on the 26th.

#14 · (Edited)
Lakes at that elevation (Oyama, Swalwell, Postill) could be ice free, I plan on checking out James Lake today which is a little south east of Postill. The snow level is fluctuating quite dramatically right now, forecast says it's at 1100m right now, with it rising to 1700m later today. I would imagine with all the rain we've had over the past little while that they're ice free.

Edit:

Plans were changed and I decided to try Browne Lake out instead of James, seeing as how it was opening day and being an artificial fly only lake It seemed like the logical thing to do. While I am nearly 100% certain the lake was ice-free I was turned back by 3-4 inches of fresh wet snow covering a sporadically icy and muddy FSR after getting to within a few km of it. After a brief stop at Idabel (where the fishing was not worth mentioning) headed to James Lake, but again turned back by hairy roads. Again I am nearly certain that James Lake would be ice free.

#15 ·
where abouts is james lake? i was up swalwell area today and checked out a bunch of lakes. fly fish 2 was ice free but the road into it was all snow. fly fish 1 was 80% ice free. lost was ice free. dee was ice free i think. island had water around the edge and is probaly a couple days away, same with doreen.

#17 ·
o ya i see it now lol. i have wanted to check out the lakes around postil but have never gotten around to it. it might not be ice free yet since some of the lakes i checked out today at the same elevation where iced up, but they looked to be a week away at most. the wind today looked like it was realy helping the lakes out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.