BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a good online resource for dates regarding ice-off? I'm looking for something which I can periodically check in on in the spring months to see which lakes are ice free and which aren't. It's a bit of a drag having to call resorts in the Kamloops area to get reports on lakes which merely neighbour the ones I want to fish at.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got the stillwater itch too, don't ya? I hear that. My productivity at work has dropped off significantly of late as well. Darn active imagination.

But seriously I'm not sure of any site that would have that information. I do know that on theweathernetwork.com web page its web cam in kamloops faces surrey lake which is fairly high near kamloops. If ice were to be off there than most other lakes in that area should be good as well.

The boys down at RFT at Whatcom, usually have a pretty good handle on on all of the interior lakes as well.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
nostrildamus;1404 It's a bit of a drag having to call resorts in the Kamloops area to get reports on lakes which merely neighbour the ones I want to fish at.[/QUOTE said:
Not only a drag, but often not helpful. 12 Km from Knouff lake to Community. Last spring Knouff had already turned when I was there in May. Drove up to Community and it still had ice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the Surrey Lake area is exactly the area I was thinking of, so thanks. I guess depending on Lake size and depth though it'll vary lake to lake. One almost needs an insider in the Kamloops area that can be called. The local fly shop up there is probably a better place than anywhere else.

The stillwater itch has bitten, and bitten deep. I'm dying to get out with some of the new chronies I've been tying up. I haven't really given chronie fishing a decent chance before so I'm REALLY wanting to get out there... but let's face it, I'd cast to puddle if I thought there was fish in there.

My addiction has gotten the better of me. I've already made a hit list for the upcoming season for the interior lakes which I only started fishing mid-season last year.

Lemme know if any of these are worth while going to or avoiding.

Tunkwa and Leighton., Roche and surrounding lakes (probably not Black Lake though as I've already fished it), Paska, Walloper.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don't know of any but judging by Jewell Lake today with 2.5 feet of ice I figure around about August 1st for there ...LOL

KF

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
The stillwater itch has bitten, and bitten deep. I'm dying to get out with some of the new chronies I've been tying up. I haven't really given chronie fishing a decent chance before so I'm REALLY wanting to get out there... but let's face it, I'd cast to puddle if I thought there was fish in there.

My addiction has gotten the better of me. I've already made a hit list for the upcoming season for the interior lakes which I only started fishing mid-season last year.

Lemme know if any of these are worth while going to or avoiding.

Tunkwa and Leighton., Roche and surrounding lakes (probably not Black Lake though as I've already fished it), Paska, Walloper.
Nostrildamus - Get hold of "Best of B.C. Lake Fishing" by Karl Bruhn. That book has got me into a lot of lakes I wouldn't have tried otherwise. I was on one lake from the book and met a guy named Lancde Swanson. We got talking on the lake (from our respective boats) and he cast his line over to me with a chironomid pattern and strike indicator on it for me to start out with. He then spent a 1/2 hour showing me how to fish the set-up. When we got back to shore he showed me how to tie a v-rib chironomid. It was probably the most generous instruction I have ever received. That week-end I was into 12 - 20 fish a day on chironies.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey nostrildamus, I've fished all of the lakes that you mentioned except for the roche lakes. Walloper and paska were piled full of 10 - 14 inchers that took anything. Tunkwa and leighton are great lakes, as I'm sure many people will tell you. Lots of fish, and most are a respectable size. I also have the bug, happens every year at about this time, lots of daydreaming and fly tying!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here is a resource that I use to see where the ice is at

http://www.laclejeune.ca/webcam.html

Lac le Jeuene is at 4100 feet, so, if there is still ice on there, it is probably a good bet that the ice not off at other lakes at that elevation.

With all the snow pack we have this year, unless it gets freakin hot early, its going to be a late ice off this year :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks D! I had forgotten about the Lac la Jeune webcam...I've felt the itch every day since Feb 1st! LOL

Got a Fishcat 4 for xmas and can't wait to use it!

Cheers and Thanx again! -Nathan in NW

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tunkwa conditions

Don't hesitate to drop us at a line at Tunkwa Lake Resort, for lake conditions, as the ice goes. We are in the process of recreating our web site to include daily update/conditons etc.
Al P.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts