BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi~ Fellas!!

I just got a SA Mastery 8wt WF floating line, and planning to use with some sink tips.
I tried to figure the length of the head and it was quiet long, so if I cut the entire head the rest of the line will be almost half of its own.

How long should I cut of the head part??
I will mainly use type 10 and 14 no longer than 10feet.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated!!

Bravo~!!

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Hi~ Fellas!!

I just got a SA Mastery 8wt WF floating line, and planning to use with some sink tips.
I tried to figure the length of the head and it was quiet long, so if I cut the entire head the rest of the line will be almost half of its own.

How long should I cut of the head part??
I will mainly use type 10 and 14 no longer than 10feet.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated!!

Bravo~!!
Bravo...that won't work with that line...your taper is what you have to cut and an 8wt mastery line isn't able to pick up type 10! Why re-invent the wheel when you could get a line made for that. Type 14 is very heavy and well isn't pretty. If its an 8wt rod you have then I might suggest to you to buy a Beulah Tonic head(335 grain Tonic Switch Head) for that rod,utilize the running line on the mastery line if it is an old one ,or get a new running line and then you are versatile and able to pick up that T14 or T10 and get it to work for you! Nothing more frustrating than re-inventing the wheel only to have it crap out! Speaking from experience of course!!
C

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Even better Bravo, as it appears from your post that you have just purchased a new line, so rather than cut it up, or have to buy a new Beulah head, why not consider getting polytips in the sink rates you are looking for. They are treated like other leaders and won't require you to butcher your lines. Remember, not every purchase we make is a mistake, just because it isn't a Beulah or Snowbee. ;) There are other solutions out there as well.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
hehehe ya, poly tips are sweet - I have a bunch and love them with my floaters, both 8wt and 5wt, but I got the trout series poly tips for the 5wt, and use the salmon/steelhead type ones with the 8wt.

On another note, if you do have your heart set on cutting that new line, what you'll likely do is make a 5wt skagit type line by chopping off the front taper - not a good idea unless that's what you want. I did that, and I like it for tossing large streamers with the wee 5wt where an 8wt would be overkill for the fish, but not for the fly. Something about a beadhead #2 bunny leach that isn't fun on a light rod, but with the right line it flies just fine without all the muscle of a big rod.

·
Registered
34 Posts
QUESTION: is a 10 foot section of T-14 on my floating line really bad if i am just gonna do a little trolling??
Sorry for the highjack

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hi~ Fellas~!!!

It will be the last question.
If the one on down below the link is the right poly tip that you guys mentioned, I found out that it is still pretty heavy, just little less than regular Rio or Cortland sink tips.
http://www.customfishingtackle.com/i...ader Set.JPG

Can I still cast OK with this??

Ooh~ the world of fly fishing is so wide to cover~!! haha~!!

Bravo~!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts