BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying my hand at tying some hoppers for the T this year. Now most of the hoppers I've bought are Yellow . So I'm wondering if I need to colour the bodies with permanent markers or should I leave them Yellow. Coloured looks good to me. anybody want to give me their :2cents:.. cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Nice job Hakia, looks good. Im sure one of those thompson beauties will climb all over it. :) The one rule when it comes to fly tying is there are no rules! ;) Give them all a try, tweak it, color it to your liking and you might be surprised. The one thing to remember is most hoppers purchased in the retail stores up here are variations of hoppers from the lower 48(California). So a little tweaking might be necessary to get a better match for our neck of the woods.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
One of the most productive pattens I've seen for the Thompson in July and August is the California Blonde with an olive body. Meant to be a caddis but passes for hoppers! It's very important that y'all heed Rick's advice. There are no rules in flytying! When you slay Roche hawgs with a holographic blue chironomid with an orange hot bead head this advice has never been more evident!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Nice tie. tying flies for me is always an exercise in trying new stuff and tweaking existing stuff. sometimes we're surprised at the results.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well...first off your 'hopper' is brilliant IMO..for I enjoy the hopper world of tying..what both Rick and John have said is true to the colour ..however..don't let that stop you from adding or completely changing the colour to a ridiculous fashion, for it is the silhouette that the fish are concentrating on, colour just makes it more normal. As an example of challenge..I have introduced the colour "Pink" to a few of my patterns..for it appears to be a great colour as a sight indicator when floating on any surface of water..and most of us 'needs' that extra help in watching where our fly is...right? I also tie a mixture of 'green' foam to create a hopper and have been extremely successful with it last year for browns, cutties, and bows..[and bright green has also been a good sight indicator]...Not all fish are fussy to colour, and those that are..well they seem to fall just as hard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts