BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...

I've been fooling around a lot with different/new patterns.

This fall I heard there were a few springs off a beach here on the island. I decided I would try to fly fish for them the next day and wondered what I could use. I decided to try an experimental pattern (to try an imitate a hootchie or something) and ended up with this on the vice the night before:

The fly worked very well for my first day off the beach and I ended up landing hooking up with 6 springs. I eventually lost the fly, and it was my only one (being experimental) so I began experimenting with it. I decided to use the same materials, but to make one in blue/silver variation to try an imitate a bait fish better. I also made them in smaller sizes for rivers:

The smaller patterns were a HUGE success in the river, sight fishing for springs, coho, chum and cutties. Both the original and blue colours worked fine, although certain species chose one colour over the other.

Now I have decided to make it look more like a needlefish pattern. I came up with this:

I quite like the blue, but I think I may tie up a few in the original christmas tree scheme I used before. Anyhow let me know which ones are your favs and what you think of the fly (particularly the new one). I have had a lot of people try it and love them. If you want the ingredients, PM me. I will email them to you on one condition, please try to get some pics of it in a fish's mouth :cool:

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Looks great but i agree, it would look better in a fishes mouth:) Ill be the first to get that recipe and add it to my flysource files. thanks, Ed. p.s. im always looking for something new to try tying

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Oh you know I like these flies. I've seen way too many fish chase these flies down last fall fishing with you on the East side of Van Isle. Seems that everything want's to eat them - chinook, chum, coho, cutties, even rockfish and flounder!

You should give them a try for steel one day! I've heard people having success with minnow patterns early in the morning and late in the evening on the Stamp and other flows.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey also going to update this thread....
Found out they work in lakes too! Trolled with a twitch picked up some beauty cutties and even rainbows.
Also worked on the mainland rivers as well during smolt out migration, hammering them on the pattern when friends couldn't get anything!

Harrison River

Maria Slough

Sorry you gotta see my ugly mug... a lake

Another one from the lake

Another nice one

Lemme know if you guys would like to give em a try!
Cheers,
Dan

·
Scott
1,589 Posts
They are pretty slick looking for sure. I've been reluctant to mess around with epoxy heads, for various reasons, but I might have to get over that and soon.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
brilliant...just knew they would work!
O I mentioned they worked for other stuff too... Springs off the beach were a big one:

And in the river....

for coho too...

Also worked for incidental by-catch as well...

I knew I had a winner when it caught flounder, cabezon, cutties and 6 springs off the beach in 4 hours the first day of use.
Just wanted to see what other species it would work on and what locations. Figured I would post success of mainland success.

By the way I have had a few people emailing me saying this has caught them their biggest cutts ever and is now their go-to pattern when searching rivers(makes me feel great!)

So far has worked on : Cabezon, Flounder, Pinks, Chinook, Coho, Chum, Rainbows, Cutthroat -- list building, would like people to try on dollies, browns, brooks, lakers and steelhead. Possibly other game fish like Pike and maybe some larger SW species?

Has worked in: streams, rivers, beaches, lakes, sloughs

If any of the people I mail the list to get any "new" fish or would like to post success, please do so.
I would like pics of these in as many fish's mouths as possible!

Cheers,
Dan

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
hehehe, I think he has it posted at fishtactics -his handle there is smokeyriver or something like that. Sweet fly for sure -but really you can mess about with any combos of flash that you think will and it probably will ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So....

Works on 2 new fish....
Beach pinks and beach dollies... Cabezon and flounder still like it to.

This one have needlefish in it's stomach when I cleaned it

Hammered 5 or more of these every beach day whenever I used my fly, only hit 1 on all other flies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts