BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What with all the herring doing their thing off the beaches around p-ville and q-bay, is it worth it to try beach fishing on the fly your best herring pattern in hopes of a feeder Chinook or a blueback?

It seems like it would be a good idea since the boat guys have been doing well lately targeting feeders on herring.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was out in a kayak yesterday with a 3 weight.... caught 70 herring between 6-10 inches using 4 small krill imitations rigged on dropper loops on one leader.. what a hoot! Hook two or three at a time and hold on! Didn't see any signs of Salmon activity at all.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Speaking of Btree, I have been waiting for them to come into English Bay...a local at the fly shop has had success doing exactly what you are thinking: going after feeder springs that might be chasing them along the beach. This is the pattern that I intend on using: "wounded herring". If you check out the Fly Tying section there is a thread on Herring Patterns with some good feedback on what to use provided by a number of people. I am guessing the pattern below is a a little on the small size...tied on standard size 1 hook, but I am going to give it a try. Good luck, and I'd like to hear if you have any success!

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
The only place I have actually hooked a Spring from the beach is Furry Creek, however I mostly fish West Van - Stearman's beach, which is where Cypress Creek flows into English Bay. I'll post if I hook something.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I know Stearman's. I was there yesterday morning and on Tuesday. I didn't hook anything, but had a nice time - the view is terrific at sunup.

·
Registered
352 Posts
If there is a herring spawn often there will be some fish hanging around... try a herring pattern and twitch it like its wounded... I've caught a few blue backs right at the edge of the herring school.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts