BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there fish in Green Lake? The one near 100 mile. Taking the family there and was wondering if it was worth fishing. Anything else close?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yeah I went there on a few camping trips, I think its stocked but theres very tough fishing if I dont remember correctly

·
Registered
424 Posts
try going to canadian tire and getting a back roads fishing map or lake map, I cant exactly remember what its called bu tit has locations of great unnamed lakes in that area to try fishing at.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've got one of those books, its really handy to have when planning a trip especially when you are unfamiliar with a region.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Pick up the Backroads Mapbook, also get Best of BC Lake Fishing by Karl Bruhn it covers the province quite well, with lots of information on the area you are looking at. You might also get Camp Free in BC vol 2. This (and vol 1) is a great book to help find forest service campsites, and often has a description of the lake and its opportunities. When you check the map, remember that almost every one of the lakes in the area holds decent fish, so pick one you think might be interesting and take a chance. There is much more to a good fishing experience than just asking online for everyone's favorite lake. You really have to put in some work to make the whole experience your own:2cents:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Agreed.

Those mapbooks are simply called "Backroads Mapbook" and they can be extremely helpful. Keep in mind a few things when using them though. One is that the lake descriptions can be quite innaccurate in terms of the size of fish and effective means of fishing them. The other is that those maps are quite old and while they can be a good guide, bear in mind that a road they show to be 2wd accessible may not be, especially on the decomissioned FSRs. Also be sure you're getting the backroads mapbook that corresponds to the area you'll be fishing in.

A good companion to your backroads mapbook is the fishing edition. Again this will be region specific. The book is complete with depth charts, indepth information on the lakes productivity and services and indicates the location of boat launches and inflows and outflows.

More info: http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/main/index.html

·
Registered
127 Posts
there are some great lakes in that region....one to mention is fawn lake....google it ...you should be happy with what you find....also brian chan and don freschi did a show on watch lake last year.

im headin up in sept and those are just a few of the lakes on my list. google earth is also a great tool to find lakes in the area....they are all marked and you can see where they are located in relation to where you are.

·
Registered
46 Posts
most lakes in the area are only an hour or so from green,makes it easy to hit a couple in a day. i am spending all of aug. fishing the whole area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts