BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not really a Trout Fly Tyer ,however, for those real Trout Fly tyers we have some great feathers that are locally grown...my first interest in these feathers was the Peacock feathers but have since realized how nice the other feathers are as well...what do I know but we have lots of great feathers ..large capes ($15),Mediums ($10)...SOme are dark Rust,others are light brown,White and so on.
C

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jake...
Yeah you can order through me(nilecreekflyshop)...will post a few pics later...oh to be on some awesome trout waters!!
C

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I am not really a Trout Fly Tyer ,however, for those real Trout Fly tyers we have some great feathers that are locally grown...my first interest in these feathers was the Peacock feathers but have since realized how nice the other feathers are as well...what do I know but we have lots of great feathers ..large capes ($15),Mediums ($10)...SOme are dark Rust,others are light brown,White and so on.
C
C,
I am looking for a new source for pumpkinhead hackle which is #2 grizzly microbarbs. I am very interested in seeing what you have to offer!

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
C,
I am looking for a new source for pumpkinhead hackle which is #2 grizzly microbarbs. I am very interested in seeing what you have to offer!
Hi John..The One thing she does not have are Grizzly Hackles...her Grizzly that I saw was large large feathers for BIG wolly Buggers...Have you tried Howards Hackle? I really like his northern feathers ...he does my coloured Grizzly..
C

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Hi John..The One thing she does not have are Grizzly Hackles...her Grizzly that I saw was large large feathers for BIG wolly Buggers...Have you tried Howards Hackle? I really like his northern feathers ...he does my coloured Grizzly..
C
Ya, even talked to them at the Calgary show. The quailty seems to be inconsistent and when you're ordering sight unseen, it becomes a bit of a gamble. Have been using Metz but am not happy with what comes out of a package that is labelled microbarbs. For those that don't know the barbules are shorter and much denser on the stem. My search continues......

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
such is the sorrows of a great commercial tyer ;).
Oh stop it, Jake!
Seriously though, you don't know the half of it. Last winter there was a shortage of microbarbs all across Western Canada and I was phoning every flyshop I could think of in Alberta and BC. Finally Fish Tales in Calgary said they had a surplus of 6 capes and to call with a credit card number and they would ship them right out. So I phone and before giving the CC # I tell them exactly what I'm tying, size 12 woolly buggers in essence, and he guarantees me that their fly tyer took each cape out of it's packaging and they were exactly what I wanted. So a week later the package arrives and I've never been so disgusted in my life. The hackles were too big for even a size 2 Bugger. They obviously didn't take the capes out and knowing Fish Tales has a great reputation, I took them at their word. That is why I detest ordering online and sight unseen.......unless it's people I'm selling flies to and they know the quality of the product they're buying hinges on the quality of materials used to create said product.

I should mention that years ago when I lived in Langley I would occasionally go to M&Y in Surrey and every time I walked in they would make me feel intimidated so I stopped shopping there and last winter during my search for hackles whoever I talked to at M&Y was going above and beyond to help me so kudos to them!

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya, even talked to them at the Calgary show. The quailty seems to be inconsistent and when you're ordering sight unseen, it becomes a bit of a gamble. Have been using Metz but am not happy with what comes out of a package that is labelled microbarbs. For those that don't know the barbules are shorter and much denser on the stem. My search continues......
Usually I get about 1/2 the Grizzly cape for Micro-barbs. This is what I use for the Coho Bugger here on the Coast... lots of tiers use laonger barbules but that isn't the original idea...the shorter barbules create an impression of an Air Bubble around the Bugger(no tail)....however,the last 5 or 6 years many tiers ,myself included tie a version that uses long barbules and a tail almost as long as the body itself...this newer version can be retreived at a much faster pace and infact a Turbo-retreive is very effective...like an escaping Squid..
C

1 - 10 of 10 Posts