1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all the spey gurus out there.
I am trying to put a skagit system together for my 13'8/9 rainshadow/forecast
I was thinking probably about 325-350 grns @ 32-36'
Anbody have any experience with this particular rod?

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
450 min.

That particular rod can manage much more line weight in that length(32-36'). The 450 or 550 Skagit works well . That match will be a lot of fun to cast and work well on the smaller rivers such as the Vedder,Squamish and so on....
C

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
short head

30' should be fine...the good thing with the shorter heads is that the fish extremely off a jet boat....quick action casts and there is not a need to have too much line working towards the engine....pick up and cast...bing-bang

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would have to say for that combo a 450 at 30 feet would be more than enough , the 550 is getting heavy for that rod and may be harder to pull up tips. The 350 grain would be better for the 7 wt

·
Registered
12 Posts
head should be 3-3 1/2 times rod length, including sink-tip...grain weight should include tip...so 450 plus 10ft tip of t-14 equals 590 grains....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try and get your hands on some lines before you start buying or hacking them up. Forecast underrates their rods by about 1 line size, so your stick is more of a 9 wt. A 600 or 650 head would be a good place to start; chuck on whatever tip.

I have the "6/7" Forecast, and it likes the 450. I even know of at least one guy that throws a 550 on this rod.

·
Registered
350 Posts
with the advent of short or compact heads, the 3-3.5 rules is quickly disappearing BUT the most important thing that I have learnt when it comes to spey lines for spey rods or switch rods is whatever works for yours casting style is the best line. I have tried lines that others swear by for a given rod and all I did was swear at the line. If you are looking for a line for a given rod, take other peoples advice with a grain of salt and maybe use it as a starting point. I know that this can be pricey (as I have discovered), maybe we should start a line loaner program in the future.LOL. just a thought.
Just my .02,
Brian

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
with the advent of short or compact heads, the 3-3.5 rules is quickly disappearing BUT the most important thing that I have learnt when it comes to spey lines for spey rods or switch rods is whatever works for yours casting style is the best line. I have tried lines that others swear by for a given rod and all I did was swear at the line. If you are looking for a line for a given rod, take other peoples advice with a grain of salt and maybe use it as a starting point. I know that this can be pricey (as I have discovered), maybe we should start a line loaner program in the future.LOL. just a thought.
Just my .02,
Brian
I really like the idea of a line loan program to test out things. Not sure how one would set that up, but I think it would be best set up in the Spey Casters Social Group...:2cents:
It might even be something we could get sponsored for.

Also, there are lots of vendors out there who tend to be more than willing to lend out lines for testers...;):D

But it might be something to think about setting up for sure.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I really like the idea of a line loan program to test out things. Not sure how one would set that up, but I think it would be best set up in the Spey Casters Social Group...:2cents:
It might even be something we could get sponsored for.

Also, there are lots of vendors out there who tend to be more than willing to lend out lines for testers...;):D

But it might be something to think about setting up for sure.
Most shops have the Airflo Compact Skagit Kit available for customers to try a variety of different lengths/weights to find the one that suits you best. Ask your local shop about this.................

1 - 15 of 15 Posts