BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm new here, and relatively new to fly fishing. I have a 9' 7/8 rod, and a 9' 5 wt rod, both have floating line, now I'm looking to get a sinking line, but I'm a little overwhelmed with the types out there? I fish majorly south alouette river, but occasional lake fishing. Could anyone recommend a good second line? Or attempt to enlighten me on the line types / styles?
Thanks for any help!!
:cheers:

·
Scott
1,589 Posts
Well, for river fishing, I just use a full floating line, and a sinking leader, usually have a few different sink rates on hand. For lake fishing, I'm sure there will be some good responses from other members, but you'd probably want to go with a Full Sink DC in a few different sink rates as well, type 3 line, type 6 line etc. Now which to chose first depends on how deep you fish. The DC is density compensated, which means the line sinks uniformly, rather then with a long belly between your fly and rod tip. This increases strike sensitivity as you have a more direct connection to the fly.

All the gear is a tough learning curve, probably harder then learning how to cast and fish. Lots of people here to help though.

Reactions: Tuna Helper

·
Registered
3 Posts
My go to line for lakes is an intermediate clear(slime line), sink rate 1 1/2-2" per second. The top rated lines are the Rio Aqua and the Courtland Camo lines.
Alan

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
My go to line for lakes is an intermediate clear(slime line), sink rate 1 1/2-2" per second. The top rated lines are the Rio Aqua and the Courtland Camo lines.
Alan
My go to lake line is a floater (I fish chironomids a lot), but for a sinking line, I switch up mostly to a slime line as well. I also will fish a type 6 if I really feel I need to get down. When fishing rivers for salmon or steelhead I will use a multi-tip line (Rio outbound is a good one to look at), but if I am fishing trout in rivers, I have never felt the need to use anything but a floating line.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I fish lakes most of the time and most of the time I use a floating line (chronies) and dries. I also use a sink tip, an intermediate (slime line), a type 3 and a type 6. What line I use depends on how deep the fish are, but keep in mind that you can get quite deep with a floater and a long leader. As far as makes of lines go, I think that you would probably be safe if you stick with the major manufactures. If I only had one sinking line, it would be a Type 3. There are advantages to density compensated lines but regular sinking lines work just fine. I also have a Rio Versi Tip line that I have used for lakes and rivers and it does what it claims to do but costs about $150. I prefer separate lines for still waters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses! Just wondering what is the difference between the type 3 -type 6? Is that the same as the sink rates? Wow, I dont think I could spend $150 for one line!! My wife would hang me with it.. :p Would you say a dc line would be more well suited to a beginner?

·
Scott
1,589 Posts
Type 3 lines sink about 3 inches per second, and Type 6 lines 6 inches. There are some pretty cool articles on the science behind sinking lines. If you find yourself with some time, google sink rates or fly fishing research and check it out. Neat stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Any key readings for us there BC? I've seen some industry adverts but I'm curious about what you've found!

·
Registered
601 Posts
If you do some research and check around, you can pick up lines for about half the new price (or less) with very little wear. Guys are always trying out lines and if they don't like it, it gets sold, cheap. That being said, there are a lot of lines out there and it can be confusing, to say the least. I would pay attention to the reviews and ask around, then decide on what you want to get.

·
Scott
1,589 Posts
Any key readings for us there BC? I've seen some industry adverts but I'm curious about what you've found!
Sorry, at work working nights right now, not really thinking clearly. I guess I could have just posted a site or two ;)

http://flyfishingresearch.net/home.html

It's a site Colin put me onto, pretty cool the things they are looking into.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Hi there, I'm new here, and relatively new to fly fishing. I have a 9' 7/8 rod, and a 9' 5 wt rod, both have floating line, now I'm looking to get a sinking line, but I'm a little overwhelmed with the types out there? I fish majorly south alouette river, but occasional lake fishing. Could anyone recommend a good second line? Or attempt to enlighten me on the line types / styles?
Thanks for any help!!
:cheers:
Not being an ass, but why do you want to pick up a second line? Have you run into a situation where your floating line couldn't do the job? If so what was the problem? The Alouette is shallow river and I can't see the need for anything beyond a floating line in that system. What species do yo fish (or plan to fish) for? The answers to these questions will dictate the types of lines you will likely find most beneficial. For the first 4 or 5 years I fished, all I used was a floater, and even now, many years later, 90% of my fishing is still with a floating line. Don't get me wrong, I have 14 fly rods in different lengths and weights, and I have at least 2 lines for every one of them, acquired slowly over the years, but a floating line still covers most situations. Until you find a specific need, poly leaders (at about $12 a pop) are a reasonable way to adjust your floating line to different contions, and might be a provide a better learning environment for a new fly angler.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I agree, for rivers the poly tip is a great advantage. The only time you will most likely need a full sink line is in the lakes where you dont want the hinging effect a sink tip gives you. A direct connection to the fish will result in better bite detection and better hookups.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not being an ass, but why do you want to pick up a second line? Have you run into a situation where your floating line couldn't do the job? If so what was the problem? The Alouette is shallow river and I can't see the need for anything beyond a floating line in that system. What species do yo fish (or plan to fish) for? The answers to these questions will dictate the types of lines you will likely find most beneficial. For the first 4 or 5 years I fished, all I used was a floater, and even now, many years later, 90% of my fishing is still with a floating line. Don't get me wrong, I have 14 fly rods in different lengths and weights, and I have at least 2 lines for every one of them, acquired slowly over the years, but a floating line still covers most situations. Until you find a specific need, poly leaders (at about $12 a pop) are a reasonable way to adjust your floating line to different contions, and might be a provide a better learning environment for a new fly angler.
No worries. I figured I'd ask because I'm planning on spending a little more time on the lakes this summer, in a boat, so I just figured it was the right thing to do, lol. I guess that's why I'm here. Say I'm fishing a deeper lake, I'm assuming I wouldn't put a 30' leader on? or would I??

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
No worries. I figured I'd ask because I'm planning on spending a little more time on the lakes this summer, in a boat, so I just figured it was the right thing to do, lol. I guess that's why I'm here. Say I'm fishing a deeper lake, I'm assuming I wouldn't put a 30' leader on? or would I??
Depends. I have fished a 30' leader on a floating line when fishing chironomids. And for what it's worth, if I am using a sink line, it is usually an intermediate clear (slime line), but that really means nothing except that it suits my style of fishing and the lakes I usually fish.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts