BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have nothing to do over the winter, there is a great series of downloadable fishing shows on fly tying. Generally they show the tying of three or four different patterns on each half hour show. The show is called Fly Tying: The Angler's Art and were shown on KWSU TV.

You will need to use a special program to download the shows but you will be able to watch them using Windows Media Player after you have downloaded them.

There are 46 different shows available for downloading. The address is
http://www.kwsu.org/Offers/OMNFlyTying.aspx

Each show is about 260 meg so it will take a bit of time to download a program. Don't try it over dial up!

I've downloaded the whole series and am going to try to burn them to disk. As WMV files I can probably get all of them on three DVDs, but when I burn them to watch on the DVD player I am only able to get four shows per disk. I need to work on that to see if I can reduce the number of DVDs.

Anyone in the Qualicum area is welcome to get hold of me and if they bring me the DVDs I'll burn a copy for them and save the download time.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Gomphus Thanks for the site. I've downloaded all 42 shows and put them on 5 DVDs. I kept them in WMV format as I use my laptop to view them. Some very cool stuff on the site besides flies.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Strange thing here, tried the downloads at work during a lunchbreak and they worked fine. Then decided I would download them all at home and put them on DVD. For some reason my security programs (firewalls and antivirus) have labelled the OLM program as a virus, and will not allow me to run them here (not without a lot of mucking around anyways).

Guess I will have to spend some time during my lunchbreaks next week downloading the shows at work...

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Just wanted to bump this thread up to the top to be sure everyone got a chance to check it out. I just tracked down a couple of flies last nite that I haven't been able to locate recipes for elsewhere. Also found a nice tip for tying parachute adams. Mine are much better looking now (I won't be embarrassed showing them anymore) since I tried it their way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since I downloaded the programs I have converted them to run on a standard DVD player. They are on twelve DVDs, four shows per DVD.

I don't want to spend time making copies of this many disks, but if someone has a lot of server space I could load them up to the server and thus make them available for downloading

G

·
What program did you use to convert it from a wmv. file to fit it 4 on a dvd?
Or what server do you mean? if i had an ftp site could you load it up to that? thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used Nerovision Express to convert the MVI files to DVD. I was able to make an introduction slide that allows one of the four shows on each DVD to be selected. That and a listing of fly by show lets me find what I am looking for.

The comment about server space is because it would take about 50 gig to hold all of the shows in DVD format (12 DVDs at 4 gig per DVD). I could bring myself to upload all of the shows once to a site where others could download from but wouldn't want to spend that amount of time doing it many times over. Just think how long it takes to copy a single DVD and you know what I mean.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a Mac running on OSX 10.4.9, when I go to download their program it says I need 10.3.9 or higher...which I have and won't allow me to download. Only option is close the program.

Any ideas?????

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Paul - Have you downloaded the viewer for the movies? I'm running OSX 10.4.10 and had no trouble downloading once I installed the OMN driver. PM me if you still can't get it to work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.