BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in hearing from those that flyfish saltwater ( B.C.) and what type of reel I should buy?

What would be your recommendations?

I don't have lots of $$ but dont' want to buy cheap....something reliable, moderate price, and able to handle Coho/Pinks around beaches/esturaries.
I would likely use this reel on a 2 Hander - 14' - 9 wt. Rod

thanks for any advice.....Speyce_cadet

·
Registered
32 Posts
The responses to your question will be interesting. I was/am in the same position.

The first reel that I picked up for this use was a Dragonfly 395. It is a graphite reel that is not significantly affected by the salt. I had need for another reel and was torn by the decision. I opted to go for a reel that has a good drag but is not anodized to withstand the salt. I know that I will need to be very careful about rinsing it and oiling it after each use. I expect that its life will depend on how conscientious I am in looking after it.

The choice was a Grey's GTX 3. It comes with three cassettes at a reasonable cost. I have loaded a WF11 and a WF350grain on it with adequate backing to use on a 7/8 two hander. There is also a GTX 4 that will take larger lines and more backing.

If at the end of the day, I made an error and the reel gets destroyed in the salt, the cost was not that bad so as to cause loss of sleep to me. This will let me save up for the properly anodized reel.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
gtx#4

:shock: The Gtx 3 will be too small for a 14' rod..if you are going to use a 14' rod then go to the GTX #4 ,it will handle most modern mid belly spey lines with no difficulty. For the beginner Spey Caster this reel is definitely a go...Approx.$170 /3 spools and a reasonable drag...not bad! The Hardy Mach 2 lines will a sweet choice for this fishery ,their Clear Intermediate ,Floating or the Clear tip are all great salt water lines that double for fresh water use. These are basically shooting lines with thin running line . Absolutely swee because these do not coil...they are a braided core and not a mono core. The clear intermediate is the most suptle cold water line I have ever used(past 5 years the same line)
Good Luck and this coming season will be a very good Pink Year

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Saltwater Reel

Thanks to both of you....glad you both like the Grey reels....
I think I will need the extra size.....as you mention SalaR
GTx 4 sounds like a reasonable choice.....

cheers...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts