BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am frustrated, wanting to get out spey fishing for steelhead but the river conditions are just not cooperating. The way things are going there will be very little quality river conditions if the rain and snow melt continue through the rest of March and into April.
I have not done very well at all this year on the rivers. Just 5 steelhead this year. Last year this time 15.
Am I the only one whining over life on the river?

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
much water

I can wine with the best of them as well... here on the Island my favorite hot spot has the main bridge washed out..the roads are covered with downed trees,my favorite small rivers are all silty from the F??$$##ing logging companies clear-cutting and there are good numbers of fish.The Gold River has good numbers of Steelhead for the Gear guys but the last time I was there it blew out in 4 hours,coming up 6'...just made it out of the water...The Stamp has tooooo many Jets and Gut slingers to allow for a decent swing and life is great.I am off tomorrow to climb over some trees with my kickboat packed in it's bag,down to the river and drift for the day..tell you the tale tomorrow night:confused:
C

G

·
Good luck Sala! Fly reports have been few and far between this season. In my neck of the woods, it's decent for some but not like last year. The conditions have certainly axed a number of fishing days. I'm hoping I will still get some time in this spring, conditions allowing of course.

Finder:)

·
Registered
238 Posts
it's been frustrating year to say the least with the river conditions, but there has been enough fish hooked to keep the interest this season... even if it wasn't i would still be out there plugging away.
Alot of people got spoiled last year and thought steelheading was easy on the fly and this year got a taste of what's it's really like.

Drove by the chedder today..high and muddy, going to take a little while till the level is good and for the river to clear up a little. who knows this might be it, if it keep raining and if the snow melt goes into full swing.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
silty

Like I said,I would report...3 hour drive only to find construction crews repairing the road and main bridge damaged during the winter floods. Got above them to find fairly high water ,definitely fishy,but silty,very hard to get any flies in a Steelheads realm. Sunny and warm...10 + degrees...
Stamp is very high and needs a couple of cold nights to lower enough for the Fly..
Lots of fish though
C

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you've got 5 so far your probably doing better than most of us! When you are steelheading with flies it helps to be a glass half full kind of guy!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not been into SPEY at all but am getting damned frustated at no "ice off" yet...sure want to get into the Chronies soon

KF

1 - 8 of 8 Posts