BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, hope everyone is having a pleasant morning, afternoon, evening or whenever you are reading this haha XD

I'll be fishing the Elk over in Fernie later this summer and am debating if I should bring my float tube. Assuming the flow rate drops to a nicer rate by the time i get there, would it be a good idea to use my float tube or just walk and wade... ive been to fernie before and i love the town, the people, the environment, and most importantly, the fishing!
Tight lines everybody

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would say no on the float tube in general in the elk... Drift boat or walk n wade are definately the best options in my opinion. Still a little high at present, however the St. Mary river has been fishing fantastic in the slower flowing side channels. 13 landed today!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Leave your float tube at home! Lots of side Chanel's to explore and under cut banks. Don't be afraid to check out some of the other rivers in the area to.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My first time was last year and I would definitely say no to the float tube. But a pontoon or something with oars would work perfect. The guys are right though no real need, lots of accessible water by foot. If you really wanted to float I would just rent a toon from one of the shops in town. They even offer shuttle service to make it really easy.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
The last time I drifted the Elk (pontoon) we saw a quite a few air mattress floaters going down river. They have about the same mobility as a float tube and suffice to say, not all of them made it down river. We watched 2 couples get swept off their mattresses by a sweeper out in the current. They recovered (even got the beer back) and continued down river past us. A half mile later we came across them again. This time the mattresses were shredded in another sweeper and there were a few anxious moments until the last woman was out of the water. They had to walk about a mile back to the road, through the woods, barefoot and 3/4 naked, but they were all alive. Where the current isn't in control of your float tube, the water is too shallow to stay in your tube. Use the right tool for the job is my advice.

Reactions: flytech
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.