BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Esteban was Eaten!
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on hitting up the Salmon run on the Shuswap this year and I'm looking to tie up some patterns specifically for these fish.

I was going to tie up a couple of egg sucking leeches and stoneflies, but are there any other suggestions? Popsicles in specific colour combinations?

I'm a complete salmon newbie and I'm just going for the sh*ts and giggles of it, so any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
209 Posts
purple wooly bugger is the only thing that has worked for me lol. try to hit the river on a cold or rainy day or there will be people tubing down the river scaring all the fish

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fished for Chinook from the road bridge in Grindrod one year, Just a heads up for you.....every inch of the bridge was shoulder to shoulder fishing, mainly by locals who really dont want you there.....Got nasty at one point, I said my piece and moved on .

·
Registered
513 Posts
Make sure that you are able to get your flies down deep. Chinook like deep water to hold in so your fly needs to get down to their level. Either a heavy sink tip or heavy sparse flies will help you out a great deal. Good luck!

·
Registered
214 Posts
The FSR into the Monashees is where I want to be, there are just some beautiful runs along that road and a gorgeous pool with a campsite by it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Gear fished the river by Enderby last couple years. (now I have more experience with my 9wt so the gear rod stays home) Showed up at 4:30 am at the pool and there were a half dozen locals already planted there. They talked really rough and tough, but when a guy showed up later in the day and started casting over our heads from the bank above, I was the one who put the run on him. Anyways, all the fish that I have seen come out of there have been caught on wool. This year I am going to tie up some weighted egg patterns and run a clear intermediate sink tip. The water is gin clear in the river and the fish get spooked easily.

·
Registered
209 Posts
caught a chinook in mabel lake a couple days ago that weighed in at 17 pounds after being cleaned. my dad caught a bigger one but it was realy beat up so it was let go.
we where gear fishin. not realy my kind of fishing, just sitting in the boat waiting for a bite lol, but its kool seeing all the salmon jumping and splashing in the lake.
it sure was fun bringing in the fish. i had a 10.5 foot rod with a mooching reel on it, so it was kinda like bringing in a fish with a fly rod. it went on 3 realy long runs and when we got it to the boat we used a homemade gaff to bring it on board cuz we dont have a net that big lol. everyone in the lake uses a green flasher with a green hoochie (squid thing).

today i went looking for a good spot along the river and found one up at kingfisher, right beside mabel lake. i think the spot in the river is known as the chuck. lots of fish jumpin and splashin, didnt hook any tho.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts