BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any fly pattern pictures and or names of flies I can get for brookies. I know leaches work and egg sucking leach. I am looking for a diverse line to try out.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Does anybody have any fly pattern pictures and or names of flies I can get for brookies. I know leaches work and egg sucking leach. I am looking for a diverse line to try out.
Yellow pumpkinheads and the only place you can find them is at Nicola Valley Outdoors in Merritt. Long and sparse Mickey Finn's will also bring success.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yellow pumpkinheads and the only place you can find them is at Nicola Valley Outdoors in Merritt. Long and sparse Mickey Finn's will also bring success.
Do you happen to have a phone number or email addy for them?

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Do you happen to have a phone number or email addy for them?
Do a quick search and you can find them (the search box is up top). Fred (the owner) is one of the moderators and Nicola Valley Outdoors is an advertiser on the site. You might also want to look here http://www.flyfishingforbrooktrout.com/Brook-Trout-Fly-Patterns.html for a lot of information on brookie fishing. Although there are no recipes for the list of flies, a google search will turn up the information easily. I have found that google is often the fastest and easiest way to get very basic information. I use forums more to point me in the right direction, and then do some basic leg work myself.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do a quick search and you can find them (the search box is up top). Fred (the owner) is one of the moderators and Nicola Valley Outdoors is an advertiser on the site. You might also want to look here http://www.flyfishingforbrooktrout.com/Brook-Trout-Fly-Patterns.html for a lot of information on brookie fishing. Although there are no recipes for the list of flies, a google search will turn up the information easily. I have found that google is often the fastest and easiest way to get very basic information. I use forums more to point me in the right direction, and then do some basic leg work myself.
Thanks for the site professori, I can look them up now. Just have to get the color pattern next.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I caught 1 nice Brookie and a Rainbow. I lost the fly on a snag, picture is last one. I used a simple water bobber and weight with attached fly caught lots of 8" Brookies. I don't have anymore of the fly so now I have to find another. Very windy day!

Trip with Phil 032.jpg
Brookie

Trip with Phil 033.jpg
Rainbow

Trip with Phil 023.jpg
Fly pattern used name unknown(sorry its blurry)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Brook char fly

Well I caught 1 nice Brookie and a Rainbow. I lost the fly on a snag, picture is last one. I used a simple water bobber and weight with attached fly caught lots of 8" Brookies. I don't have anymore of the fly so now I have to find another. Very windy day!

Fly pattern used name unknown(sorry its blurry)
Looks like it is made of peacock crystal chenille with a red marabou tail so it should be an easy one to tie. I used to take a lot of small brookies on a size 12 wet Royal Coachman as well.

·
Registered
350 Posts
That fly looks like a little fort leech, which is a wooly bugger style with a black marabou tail with a small clump of red marabou on top of the black with a black or peacock crystal chenille body and a black hackle. I have had good success with this pattern this year on a slow troll.

Brian

·
Registered
383 Posts
That fly looks like a little fort leech, which is a wooly bugger style with a black marabou tail with a small clump of red marabou on top of the black with a black or peacock crystal chenille body and a black hackle. I have had good success with this pattern this year on a slow troll.
Brian
likely more accurate than my comment - I was in there last week and saw those patterns too, but have yet to tie any.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My flies are done I'll post some pictures on wed as thats my first day off. Then bring on 6 days of fishing!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Personally i wouldnt fish for them any differently then other trout. Other then going a little bit deeper. We have some big ones here in alberta ( 2-9lbs if you know where to catch them ) and we dont fish them any differently then the rainbows or browns. Try Booby's fished on a fast sink line. But your right, Egg Sucking Leeches in purple and black size 2-8 work very well.

Just go out and fish for them like you would any other trout. A lot of people think they eat just about anything and they're right. But they aren't as much as a meat eater as people think. Give some attractor pattern's a try.

Good luck!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lots of fly patterns to try. Days off are coming fast, only two days to go then I get 7 off. Going to hit a new lake called Kloacut Lake out South/West of Hanceville BC during my days off.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Personally i wouldnt fish for them any differently then other trout. Other then going a little bit deeper. We have some big ones here in alberta ( 2-9lbs if you know where to catch them ) and we dont fish them any differently then the rainbows or browns. Try Booby's fished on a fast sink line. But your right, Egg Sucking Leeches in purple and black size 2-8 work very well.

Just go out and fish for them like you would any other trout. A lot of people think they eat just about anything and they're right. But they aren't as much as a meat eater as people think. Give some attractor pattern's a try.

Good luck!
For those that did not read Professori's link in part 1 of this thread, here is a list from that site that confirms what he was getting at as well as what BH_flyfisher says.
I agree too:

So here's my list of the best patterns for Brook Trout in most freestone streams and ponds:

Black Gnat Wet Fly sizes 10 -16
Royal Coachman Fanwing Dry sizes 10-16
Blue Dun Bivisible sizes 10- 20
Brown Bivisible sizes 10-20
Grey Hackle Yellow sizes 10 -20
Brown Hackle Peacock sizes 12-20
Cow Dung Wet Fly sizes 12 -20
Abbey Wet Fly sizes 12-16
Alder Wet Fly sizes 12 -16
Light Cahill Wet Fly sizes 12 -18
Dark Cahill Wet Fly sizes 12 -18
Coachman Lead Wing Wet Fly sizes 12 -18
March Brown English Wet Fly sizes 10-14
March Brown American Wet Fly sizes 10-14
Rio Grande King Wet Fly sizes 10-16
Royal Coachman Wet Fly sizes 10-18
Silver Doctor Wet Fly sizes 12-16
Picket Pin Wet Fly sizes 8-12
Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear Wet Fly sizes 8-16
Warden Wet Fly sizes 12-16
Fontinalis Fin Wet Fly sizes 10-16
Black Grizzly Bivisible sizes 12-22
Black Ghost Streamer sizes 10-16
Little Brook Trout Streamer sizes 10-16
White Maribou Streamer sizes 10-14
Black Maribou Streamer sizes 10-14
Mickey Finn Streamer sizes 10-14
Black Wooly Bugger sizes 10-14
Black and Olive Wooly Bugger sizes 10-14
Black and Blue Matuka sizes 10-14
Olive Matuka sizes 10-14
Grizzly Variant Dry Fly sizes 10-18
Brown Variant Dry Fly sizes 10-18
Light Cahill Dry Fly sizes 10-18
Sulfur Dun Dry Fly sizes 12-16
Sawyer Nymph sizes 12-18
Muskrat Nymph sizes 10-18
Light Wulff sizes 10-18
Dark Wulff sizes 10-18
Red midge larva sizes 12-20
San Juan Worm red sizes 10-16
San Juan Worm brown sizes 10-16

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have some pics of the flies I had made. I don't remember the names except the Egg Sucking Leech in the third picture and one of them is a Royal Coachman. These were to be added to my Brookie Box. I had four of each made, so I have spares. I caught lots of 8" Brookies with the one in the first pic and the fourth pic had a couple also. No size to any of the brookies as the lake was algae infested due to a warm up. I hope the pic's are clear enough.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts