BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

fishing the bottom??

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  bbaley 
#1 ·
I have another question after reading a fly fishing book. It said that when fishing things from scuds to leeches to chronimid larvae that you should fish them close or even on the bottom of the lake so my question is how do you do that with out snagging all the weeds or other underwater structures?? Im guessing in 10 feet of water you would use floating line with a weighted pattern and wait for to sink and do a slow retrieve and cross your fingers that you dont snag?? How about deeper water??

Sorry for all the questions but i dont know any other fly fishers so im trying to teach myself.
Thanks again for any replys

fisher4life

#2 ·
fishing the bottom

Hi Fisher4life,
A good way to fish a fly off the bottom is to use a fast sinking line with a floating tip, these lines are made by a couple of companies, and you should be able to get them anywhere, if not let me know, really good way of fishing just off the bottom on Rivers and lakes without splicing lines.
Gordon.

#3 ·
Re: fishing the bottom

speyghillie said:
Hi Fisher4life,
A good way to fish a fly off the bottom is to use a fast sinking line with a floating tip, these lines are made by a couple of companies, and you should be able to get them anywhere, if not let me know, really good way of fishing just off the bottom on Rivers and lakes without splicing lines.
Gordon.

Thanks for the advice, but i dont have the cash flow for another line. i guess i should suck it up and lose a few flies to fish the bottom or is there a better way.

#8 ·
sinking lines

thinking about it... I bet I have 5-6 old lines around I could try splicing like that and give a go....

just what I need, another hobby ;-) line splicing.

I bet it will require special tools, and maybe another catalog in the mail too ;-)

Then I can tell my wife - "look honey, I cleaned all the rod building stuff off the dining room table!" "this line splicing stuff is much less of a mess!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.