BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one else heard of the application for geoduck farming on Gartley Point in Royston. The application notice was in the May 4 edition of the Comox Valley Record. Doing some research on it now, but it will wreck our beach and make it dangerous to fish on. Just wanted to get the word out!

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
What a joke, they need to move fish farms inland if they want to have an artificial fishery. Instead they are poisoning our waters and beaches, sorry to hear this.

·
Scott
1,589 Posts
What a joke, they need to move fish farms inland if they want to have an artificial fishery. Instead they are poisoning our waters and beaches, sorry to hear this.
Agreed! I wish they would just get their heads out of their asses and start putting those things on shore.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I haven't read the article yet.... Hasn't he done all the work already....? He put his intake pipe in last year.... I thought he was already up and running in his brakish pond... Take a drive and check it out. Thanks for postin... I already recycled the paper.... Can you post the jist of it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as I can tell they want to have Geoduck and sea cucumber farm from where the discharge pipe on Gartly Point is all the way to just north of Glover Road. It would be 155 ha. in size. I was on the gov.bc.ca site and searched file # 1413722 and got the actual application on line. Some reason it won’t let you access it anymore, but I am looking into that.
Don’t want the problems these people had. http://protectourshoreline.org/slideshow/POS_ShellfishAquacultureConcerns.pdf

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry but I fish there a lot as well however getting kinda tired of the BS that all aquaculture is bad just because they are creating jobs in your favorite fishing spot. It is good to keep pressure on the industry so it dose not run rammpid and destroy all that is in the ecosystem, but come on really aquaculture is here to stay boys. I can only hope that one day people like yourselves can look past the BS and see what a great thing aquaculture is (not saying it is perfect but perfection comes with time), the worlds sea creatures of all types are in serious trouble and I believe this is the only logical answer to the problem 3 billion people rely on the ocean to eat. Anyhow that's my perspective who knows it might create some structure to fish.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Sorry it's been a while. Geoduck has been removed from the application so it will be Sea Cucumbers farmed. They applicants have also applied for another 107 hectors on top of the 155 hectors which stretches from Gartley Point to Buckley Bay (Almost 14 KM of beach). There is a group starting called Friends of Baynes Sound. If you would like to help out let me know.
Any one wanting more info on the application you can follow
http://friendsofbaynessound.wordpress.com/

Thanks Dan

·
Registered
162 Posts
The worst thing to do is turnover soil, farmers kill species biodiversity this way and this will cause the same situation on the beach. Nature took million of years to get the beach to this point, natural balance. Farming will always be here but it needs to be dispersed enough on the beaches to allow the species diversity to reclaim the disturbed site if its not toxic to them after farming. This can be preached all day but knowledge comes only after experience and/or study.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can not think of one thing to benefit mankind only benefit to one man and no benefit to nature , who are the people that give this stuff a second glance? Oh money money money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts