BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a couple of years of sporadic attempts (because that is all you get when you have a new child) I finally landed a Pink Salmon on a fly.
The setting was a little more urban than I usually prefer to fish, but that is where the fish were...
If you are in the Nanaimo area and are so inclined, check out tomorrow's Nanaimo Daily News as I may be in there. :)
Tangler.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good for you . Its nice to have easy access in the bay . Its hard to cast a fly some times as people just do not understand that fly fishing people back cast can travel over fifty feet . Once I hook this fellows dog as he walked behind me . Now for you to get your second fish .

treblig

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.
I have yet to catch a cuttie on a beach (but I haven't really targeted them).
Just finished eating the second pink...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Congrats, i just got back from cluxewe and landed my first and 100th pink all in the same trip and I still got the same joy out of the 100th that I got out of the first. I also got my first coho, if you havent yet put them on your list, my god are they fun.

Clayton

·
Scott
1,589 Posts
Congrats man,

I'm in the same boat. ( or the boat you previously occupied ) I've yet to land a pink on the fly, but will be heading over to Nanaimo this weekend, hopefully to get up nice and early on Saturday and take a crack at it with my brother-in-law.

Not sure where we're going to be heading, I'll leave that up to him, but it should be a good time either way. If you want to share any tips I'm all ears :)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Congrats man,

I'm in the same boat. ( or the boat you previously occupied ) I've yet to land a pink on the fly, but will be heading over to Nanaimo this weekend, hopefully to get up nice and early on Saturday and take a crack at it with my brother-in-law.

Not sure where we're going to be heading, I'll leave that up to him, but it should be a good time either way. If you want to share any tips I'm all ears :)
I'd probably plan my day based on the tides rather than just waking up early! Sometimes it's just better to sleep in...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, BCBound, if I had any sense of expertise I would give you some tips, but I'm not convinced it wasn't mostly luck. But here is what I did...
About 9 ft of 2x fluoro tippet and 9ft of clear intermediate polytip on a floating line. I cast it towards where the fish were showing and retrieved at an intermediate speed, in six inch pulls. The first fly didn't produce any results so I changed it and got some hook ups (pink shrimp pattern). Don't horse the fish in and try and avoid the seals...
I tried downtown this morning and didn't have much luck even though lots of fish were showing. There was also lots of mud showing, which was unpleasant...
Good luck :)

·
Scott
1,589 Posts
bronjuan - haha, good point about the tides.

Tangler - thanks for the advice, and yeah, I'm sure standing around in stinky mud is not the most enjoyable experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts