BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
February Fly O' the Month - Steelhead Popcicle Any size, any color !! Post your pictures in this thread and they also must be uploaded in this months Fly O' the Month Gallery to qualify for the prize. Happy tying, lets see those Steelhead Popcicles! Prizes: johnk will be donating 1 dozen of his own commercial tied flies to this months and I will be donating 6 custom tied flies from members of the forum and one brand new FFBC Sticker to this months winner. Lets see those creations!! Below is an example of FFM's popcicle

Attachments

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
February Fly O' the Month - Steelhead Popcicle Any size, any color !! Post your pictures in this thread and they also must be uploaded in this months Fly O' the Month Gallery to qualify for the prize. Happy tying, lets see those chironomids! Prizes: johnk will be donating 1 dozen of his own commercial tied flies to this months and I will be donating 6 custom tied flies from members of the forum and one brand new FFBC Sticker to this months winner. Lets see those creations!! Below is an example of FFM's popcicle

Soooooo Rick......what is it? Popsicles or chironomids? You must have chironimids on the brain.....and I thought it was just me!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here's one that I always have in my fly box, although I haven't caught a steelhead on one yet it has worked well for just about everything else.

Orange Popsicle

Hook: Mustad black 36890 size 2
Body: Flat silver tinsel
Wing: Yellow marabou with orange overtop
Hackle: Orange guinea fowl
Head: Red thread

·
Registered
350 Posts
nice color combo

NICE!!! I like it. I was wondering if anyone has a problem with their popscicles floating and not sinking very good? I have noticed this a few times, usually when I am using a slower sinking tip. Does anyone weight there mariboo patterns?

Brian.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Here's one that I always have in my fly box, although I haven't caught a steelhead on one yet it has worked well for just about everything else.

Orange Popsicle

Hook: Mustad black 36890 size 2
Body: Flat silver tinsel
Wing: Yellow marabou with orange overtop
Hackle: Orange guinea fowl
Head: Red thread
If that isn't a Tequila Sunrise then I must be sober!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NICE!!! I like it. I was wondering if anyone has a problem with their popscicles floating and not sinking very good? I have noticed this a few times, usually when I am using a slower sinking tip. Does anyone weight there mariboo patterns?

Brian.
Hey Brian, it usually take a couple casts to get it to sink. Keep your leader length to no more than three feet, preferably 2 feet and you wont have a problem

·
Registered
66 Posts
Although similar to the tequila sunrise I believe the "orange popsicle" was developed by one of the Polar Coachmen Fly Club members for fishing the Kitimat area during high water conditions. Orvis sells a popsicle fly called the "tequila sunrise" that is yellow and orange but the George Cook "tequila sunrise" has pink marabou, orange flashabou, orange marabou and a hackle of red shclappen.

Kinda like this.

·
Registered
350 Posts
thanx for the input guys, i will try the shorter leader as i was using 4 feet. i am also going to wrap a little lead wire substitute on the shank.
another great pattern Lucky, keep'em coming.
Brian

·
Registered
271 Posts
I like tying my popsicles a little like intruders so the marabou doesnt foul on the hook point. I can also add a nice silver underbody to it this way.

example of one i have done.

I also really like tying them on tubes with small lead eyes so that my hook doesnt ride point down and getting dulled in the rocks.

I also notice that they take a bit of soaking to really be perfect in the water LOL

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Well, I figured I'd lash some maribou to some hooks since I've donated a few to some trees recently.

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

For some reason I really like the yellow mallard. Not sure why...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Here is my submission.

Hook Tiemco 700 (or what ever you fancy). No, really, there is a hook in there...
Thread Black 3/0
"Tail" Pearl crystal flash
"Wing" Orange marabou
"Overwing" Purple marabou
"Collar" Kingfisher blue guinea fowl

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This months winner is...........

OK guys/gals, I would like to thank everyone who participated in this months FOTM contest, there were some great patterns tied by all, nice work everyone!!! :thumbsup: This months winner is Lucky with his Orange Popcicle pattern! A big round of applause please!! :D Lucky could you please PM me and johnk your address and we will send you off the flies and FFBC sticker for the PRIZE!! ;)

March Fly O' the Month is a Elk Hair Caddis, you can view here, Elk Hair Caddis

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.