BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm definately going to be fishing in Alberta next year....heard of this river before, but not the size of the fish! Mayflies...i wonder what size fly? Perhaps size 12 to 8 or 6? Cool Vids!

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice One - One of the links on that page (Click here for a chart showing fly patterns for the Red Deer River, and the best times to use them.) takes you to a chart showing flies, sizes and times in the season to fish them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the tips Proffessori! And thanks again for posting this river. I'll treat her like the beautiful lady she is! Cheers and thanx! -Nathan in NW

·
Registered
45 Posts
I drifted the Bow River during my honeymoon in 2002. Caught plenty of browns and fiesty rainbows...but the most memorable one was a 27" brown taken on the last stretch of river before the pullout. I would fish it again, but there are lots and lots of water here in BC that I have been planning on fishing and haven't got to yet.

I'm thinking of hopping on a cheap Westjet flight to Calgary one day in the summer just to drift the Bow and then fly back. :D

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Beauty. Too bad it is where it is.
Don't know about that. I cruised thru Calgary on the Bow and then hit the foothills all the way down to the Crowsnest. It was sure great to see green pine trees!! There is some truly beautiful country and beautiful fish there as well as here.

·
Registered
671 Posts
haha prof, I was referring to the beached fish.

The bow flows through some neat prairie. It was on my to-do list this summer, but we didn't make it since we had to jet up to Edmonton to meet my bro for a particular date.

Oh well, next summer I guess...:cheers:

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gotcha! Make a point of going, it is beautiful trip.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
There is some awesome flow fishing for browns in the southern half of the province. Dave Jensen also operates the lodge at Fortress Lake, land of huge brookies! Seems he has a penchant for large trout and char!

Where I live in northcentral Alberta there aren't a lot of streams with browns but we do have some stillwaters with large browns and though not very aerial they'll bulldog your arm right out of the socket!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yes...John, I can add to your statement..bulldog is the best word to describe the Brown..here in the southern region, there are two types of Browns..the Scottish as what you see in the vids, the less colourful of the two and the German Brown..the colourful one..in the Red, I know a chap who refuses to post a pic unless it is in the range of 28" and up..cause they do get huge in that river, they are hard to catch yet when it happens ..there is nothing else like it.

..Now in the Bow, the average size would be around the 23" mark , and very plentiful at that, so there is nothing to sneeze about catching that size..and yepper..they do get huge as well..my largest was in the spring..28"er-8-10 lbs., but since that day, the 20"-24" have hit my flies..and lots of them....

..so if you have that chance...take it, you won't be disappointed...........Wolfie

·
Registered
28 Posts
And I thought I wouldn't regret leaving the Prairies ! Now I'm trying to figure out how to get the gas $ to feed the old 460 for a trip back, :doh: ! Thanks Prof :cheers:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Im actually planning a trip to the rockies next year to search for some fish. I have been to the bow river.

To each his own. People in alberta wanna come fish bc. People in bc want to fish ontario. Its all over the map. When it all comes down to it, we are all very fortunate for the oppertunities we have.

·
Registered
383 Posts
My preferences for Alberta rivers in order are the Bow, and Crowsnest. Have fished many others, and many are fun enough but these eclipse much else there., it seems to me. Once in AB fishing, one should not ignore some of the small lakes for good rainbow and cut fishing as well.

On several trips years ago, I fished Wabasca and Lesser Slave lakes as well as others for big pike and walleye on big flies and had an absolute blast. Shortly afterwards I bought my 8 weight Sage rod and a half decent reel...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
My preferences for Alberta rivers in order are the Bow, and Crowsnest. Have fished many others, and many are fun enough but these eclipse much else there., it seems to me. Once in AB fishing, one should not ignore some of the small lakes for good rainbow and cut fishing as well.

On several trips years ago, I fished Wabasca and Lesser Slave lakes as well as others for big pike and walleye on big flies and had an absolute blast. Shortly afterwards I bought my 8 weight Sage rod and a half decent reel...
Unfortunately the quality trout lakes in Alberta are few and far between. As far as I have seen thus far there are two here that would parallel Interior/Cariboo lakes and they are Beaver Lake (near Rocky Mountain House) and Swan Lake (south of Grande Prairie) which is 75 minutes from my house. Both lakes have bomber chironomids and Swan is a carbon copy of Tunkwa with a mud bottom and max. depth of 17'. Though icefishing and bait are both permissable a good population of large fish are spared for the flyfishermen in the spring. Swan also has nine aerators to ensure successful overwintering.

I have had good luck fishing black bombers in size 10-3xl and since chironomid fishing isn't widespread like the Interior the fish are not at all selective as long as the pattern is well presented.

You don't even have to use red hooks!:peace:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts