BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a great head cement recipe. I'm not sure where I got it, but I use it on almost all my flies as a head cement, and use it where ever I would use epoxy. In a small jar mix 4 parts houishold Goop® and one part toluene (you can get it at Rona, Home Depot, etc. for about $5 for a quart). Mix them together and seal the jar. I bought a cement dispensing jar with an applicator cap at Sea-run. The mixture should be about the consistancy of pancake syrup. Apply as yo would any other head cement and allow about 5 minutes to dry. It leaves a hard, glossy and somewhat flexible coat. As I said I use it now anywhere I would epoxy and have been totally satisfied.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey Professori, nice recipe. I also use this. I mix it a little thicker than you. Basically, it's home grown Flex-cement (spelling?). I started using it when a guy at the local shop suggested it as a cheap alternative to buying a branded flexible cement like "Dave's Flex-cement." For anyone using this, caution with the toluene- that stuff's a nasty solvent.
Cheers,
Sparky

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sparky - Do you recall where you got the recipe? I know I read it somewheere in the last year or so, but can't remember where.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wasn't really a recipe so much as a recommendation. I was looking for 'Dave's', and they didn't have any. Bill at Benshona suggested it as a good alternative. In fact, he said "that stuff is just Goop thinned down with toluene" to be exact! I just tried a few mixes until I was happy with one (I tend to mix it about 1:2 or 1:3 depending on the intended application and how fast I want to build the coat- how lazy I am really). I use it as head cement on the big boys, epoxy on some patterns, and of course as a flexible adhesive for pulled back wing cases. I also use it whenever I think something needs to be more durable than my Sally Hanson's Hard As Nails can make it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Softex.

For many applications I still prefer epoxy. However, Bobby Pop (and others) have been
field testing an epoxy alternative -- UV light activated...he talks about it highly, but I have
yet to see it in action and more importantly, try it myself!

As always, your mileage may vary.

-J

·
Registered
54 Posts
jared said:
Softex.

For many applications I still prefer epoxy. However, Bobby Pop (and others) have been
field testing an epoxy alternative -- UV light activated...he talks about it highly, but I have
yet to see it in action and more importantly, try it myself!

-J
The UV light activated product is knot sense. I find it ok, but i like the soft body better.
My 0.02

·
Registered
27 Posts
[/quote]

The UV light activated product is knot sense. I find it ok, but i like the soft body better.
My 0.02[/quote]

Actually, I don't believe it is. This is something that Popovics, Ed Mitchell and others
in New England have been testing for a company from Texas I believe. Knot Sense is
a Loon product which cures in sunlight and as one might discern from the name is
primarily used to cover knots...the Popovics one cures under a special lamp and is
designed to be used as a non-yellowing substitute for 5-minute epoxy.

-J

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sounds like a cool product. Is it hard when cured or is it somewhat soft/pliable.
You're correct in my mistake of confusing the product with Loon's knot sense. My main beef with the Knot Sense is that it cures quite hard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jeff Pierce (Mustad), was tying flies at the tradex shows using the Knot Sense product from Loon. He uses a UV lamp to cure it quickly. He was a very big fan of that product. I don't know if anybody else saw him there, he was at the Hubs Sports booth tying saltwater flies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone tried a Matte-finish to their flies.. I found a nail-polish in Matte and use it quite succesfully on my Cutthroat minnows. gives them a "pasty-dead" look .. have yet to try them out, but they REALLY attract the fishermen... BD

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ive been using "Clear Cure Goo". For a couple of years now. It's a UV hardened product like Knot Sense, but a bit cheaper. Their UV lights are much cheaper.

They've got versions that turn very hard, and others that stay flexible. You can get syringes or brushable bottles. They also come in a thin and thick consistency for different kinds of applications.

Nice stuff, IMHO.

Ps. One of our site sponsors is a retailer for these products: Nile Creek Fly Shop.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts