BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been tieing a whack of epoxy fry candy lately.
These epoxy minnows have been the bomb for me for many years.
I don't go cuttie fishing in the spring without them.
Some have glass beads with silver centers for egg sacks and/or gills.
The style of fly is very useful and lends itself to experimentation.
I also use epoxy for heads on beach flies.
You can also do up some killer stickleback patterns as well.
The possibilities are endless.
I use epoxy flies for coho in the chuck as well.
Most flies that I use it on are part epoxy and part something that moves.
If you decide to try some of these you will need a motor to turn them on while the epoxy sets up.
6 RPM is just about right. A B.B.Q. rotisserie motor is about right.
I use a little motor I found used, and a piece of round foam.
One other thing, I have tried a lot of different epoxies, and the only one to use is Devcon 2 ton. There is about 20 minutes working time so you can get a few flies done at a time. Just don't mix up more than about a dime size puddle.
Anybody else have any thoughts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I prefer 5-min epoxy. True it's not waterproof -- and it does yellow with age *although the nail polish trick is a good one* -- but it remains my favorite.

That said, the "new" acrylic resin (dentists have been using the stuff for years) that Bobby Pop is demoing has some intriuging properties...so I may try some of that at some point.

Happy tying.

-J

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
new shite

So many chemicals...........
So little time.
Seriously now.
The two ton is pretty much all I have used.
Well a bit of soft body here and there.
Keep us posted if you try some of the new products out.
Perhaps there would be enough interest in an epoxy/coated fly tying night.
I know i would like to see a few tricks and am sure I could help out a few as well.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Found this thread on epoxying flies. Is it still up to date? I want to make some cutty flies and putting eyes on needs epoxy it seems. I tried one today and put 8 coats of tough as nails on and it still didn't seem enough. I don't really want to spend the money on a tuffleye kit even though it seems good. But I guess i need a rotary fly dryer for epoxy. Whats the easiest solution?
Here's the nail polish fly

Attachments

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
easy

Just get a BBQ rotiserrie motor.
Something around 6 rpm is good.
Try princess auto surplus section for a motor.
Piece of foam and a couple of chunks of 2x4.
Then use devcon 2 ton.

Or buy one.
Once the initial cost of the dryer is over it is cheap.
6 bucks or so will do 20+ dozen flies. Depending on size and coverage of course.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I used my bbq motor with a metal bracket and mounted it to a piece of wood [ Teak with 10 clear coats ]It works awsome now,the first time the wheel fell off and I had a dozen minnows stuck to the rug .Phearless gave me a few tips on the devcon its great stuff once you get the hang of it,my latest ones have a green frostbite body they look pretty cool.I heard if you get air bubbles to breath on it when I tried that method the mix turned milky,I now take more care when mixing it up & appling it.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Mixing

Don't "mix"
Fold.
If you stir like a pot of beans it will get air bubbles.

Also, do not use wood to stir. the pores introduce micro bubbles which are very difficult to remove.
I use a very small stainless steel spatula. The kind make up artists use.
They are available at the Cloverdale Flea Market in the first building at the corner where you first walk in. The guy has cheap scissors and the like as well.

Here is another trick.
If it does have a lot of air bubbles, a flame held ABOVE the fly will pop them immediately.
Be careful as this also makes it thin quickly as well.

Use a spatula and mix/fold carefully and you will not have any problems.
I haven't had any air bubble problems for 1000's of flies.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Soft Body

Yuo can also buy "SoftBody"...it is a water based head finish...that works OK...forms heads well....or you can use Sun Cure Wader Repair..if it's not sunny it takes longer

C

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I bought a motor with chuck on ebay for $17. Just look for rod drying motor and there are a ton of them there. I mounted it on a nice little oak stand, and use it for rod drying. I then grabbed an empty spindle from a stack of CD-Rs, wrapped some weathre stripping around it and mounted it in the chuck. Turns epoxy flies at 7 R.P.M. For epoxy, I prefer 20 minute over 5 minute (longer working time). I looked at the Tuffleye system and tho' it looks fntastic, I can't see spending that kind of money unless one is tying commercial quantities. Epoxy isn't a huge part of my repertoire, so I don't mind the occasional messy evening.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't "mix"
Fold.
If you stir like a pot of beans it will get air bubbles.

Also, do not use wood to stir. the pores introduce micro bubbles which are very difficult to remove.
I use a very small stainless steel spatula. The kind make up artists use.
They are available at the Cloverdale Flea Market in the first building at the corner where you first walk in. The guy has cheap scissors and the like as well.

Here is another trick.
If it does have a lot of air bubbles, a flame held ABOVE the fly will pop them immediately.
Be careful as this also makes it thin quickly as well.

Use a spatula and mix/fold carefully and you will not have any problems.
I haven't had any air bubble problems for 1000's of flies.

I prefer coffee straws cut on a bias -- usually get 3 "tools" per straw. For the bubbles, just hold the mixed epoxy under a hot light bulb...the bubbles rise and pop and you're good to go.

I haven't gotten around to trying the tuffleye stuff yet.

-J

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
easy bake

Thanks jared.
I forgot to add the warm the whole batch part.
Just remember that by warming, the reaction is sped up
and the epoxy will cure faster.
= less working time.

I like your stir stick idea as well.
The spatula works great and I have had it for 15 years.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
You can add a couple of drops (literally) of methyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) to thin the epoxy and to lengthen the working time a few minutes.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thinner

Enamel based paint, I have used model paint, can be used for tinting.
It also thins a bit.
Fine metallic powder added looks awesome. I used my kids glitter stuff.
If you want to get fancy, you can do layers and put colours etc in between clear. The results can be outstanding.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use more aquaseal these days than anything else .

I ty all my flies up first, then mark them with sharpies
I use the oral syringes and squeze a small tube of aqua seal into it.

Once i have all the flies on the drying jig i basically go and give them all a squirt of aqua seal and make sure the shape is good

i found that once you get the hang of whichever product you choose to use
most willl turn out a decent looking fly.

The best part about the aquaseal in my opinion is that it is very rubbery in feel and pretty much indestructible and it sinks well

cheers
Swiftwater

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Freezer

I like that idea very much...do you freeze the aguaseal after you use it?
I use more aquaseal these days than anything else .

I ty all my flies up first, then mark them with sharpies
I use the oral syringes and squeze a small tube of aqua seal into it.

Once i have all the flies on the drying jig i basically go and give them all a squirt of aqua seal and make sure the shape is good

i found that once you get the hang of whichever product you choose to use
most willl turn out a decent looking fly.

The best part about the aquaseal in my opinion is that it is very rubbery in feel and pretty much indestructible and it sinks well

cheers
Swiftwater

·
Registered
25 Posts
aqua seal

I dont usually freeze it as when i tie using the aqua seal i tie up about 20 patterns and then do them all at once
I usually buy the small wader repair kits so the tube is just the right size to use up
I need to find a pattern to use up all the goretex with :doh:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts