BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

My question is, when your fishing a dry fly and you see the water explode underneath your fly, do you set the hook right away or do you wait a set time then set the hook, as I seem to be loosing a lot of fish on the initial strike when I set the hook.thanks

Clayton

·
Registered
96 Posts
The classic New Zealand strategy of mentally "saying" the phrase "God save the Queen", between the take and the hook-set works well.

I find that delaying the hook-set when fishing stillwaters usually sets the hook home more often than an immediate set. Conversely, I've found that an immediate set in moving water often hooks more fish than a delayed set.

Neither holds true in every situation, though - and can change during the course of the day, and phase of hatch.

The key is to be flexible - I start with a reaction set (mostly because I find it more difficult to delay until I'm a couple of strikes into the day), then slow it down if I find its not working for me.

Have fun experimenting!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya i know what you mean about the reaction set, especially when im twitching a dry, i cant seem to stop twitching even after the flies been engulfed, usually removing the fly from the fish.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've read (and observed) that frequently the initial rise looks like a strike, but it actually isn't. Trout will often "roll over" the fly to submerge it and then take it under water. If you set immediately, you don't give them the chance to actually bite.

I don't know why they do this, but apparently that's their behaviour.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The classic New Zealand strategy of mentally "saying" the phrase "God save the Queen", between the take and the hook-set works well.

I find that delaying the hook-set when fishing stillwaters usually sets the hook home more often than an immediate set. Conversely, I've found that an immediate set in moving water often hooks more fish than a delayed set.

Neither holds true in every situation, though - and can change during the course of the day, and phase of hatch.

The key is to be flexible - I start with a reaction set (mostly because I find it more difficult to delay until I'm a couple of strikes into the day), then slow it down if I find its not working for me.

Have fun experimenting!
i do something like this, minus saying "God save the queen". mainly because i could never bring myself to utter those words aloud. i usually go something like "damn, it frickin' worked!" then strike. or "here we go."

·
Registered
96 Posts
i do something like this, minus saying "God save the queen". mainly because i could never bring myself to utter those words aloud. i usually go something like "damn, it frickin' worked!" then strike. or "here we go."
Bloody colonials. You should all be so lucky as to live under the boot-heel of the Monarchy.

Off with their heads!

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Bloody colonials. You should all be so lucky as to live under the boot-heel of the Monarchy.

Off with their heads!
Yes..OFF with their heads(I hope you are speaking of ....those that wear the boots)!!Can you imagine,a Boston Tea party....Pitty
C

·
Registered
442 Posts
actually, the main reason i won't say it is kind of complicated. i'll try to simplify it for you:

i'm 98% Irish, 2% Scottish. no english blood. my ancestors came over on the Mayflower and helped colonize the US. we fought in the wars and helped boot the bloody Brits out of America. we rubbed shoulders with the Kennedy's. we're distantly related to the Bush family. sometime before 1900, we got bored with the US. so we head north and settled in Nova Scotia and then Neufoundland. stayed there until 1950 or so, then headed west. now we're mainly spread out through Alberta and northern BC. always been a hardy family. heh, grandpa joined the US Marine Corps for 4 years because he was bored. simply put, my loyalties lie first to Canada, second to America, then to Ireland and Scotland. England is somewhere below Afghanistan on my favorite countries list.

Down the Brits! Up the colony!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the Afghanistan part cracked me up a little ruger, thanks for sharing that with us all, I'm 50% English and 50% Scottish, but still, Viva Canada :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
the Afghanistan part cracked me up a little ruger, thanks for sharing that with us all, I'm 50% English and 50% Scottish, but still, Viva Canada :)
lol. no worries. just proud of who i am and wear i come from, like most people! :D

oh, and ultimate thread hijack in progress! hahaha! :cool:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got what I needed from the thread, a hijacks all good, learn funny stuff sometimes too.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Hey all,

My question is, when your fishing a dry fly and you see the water explode underneath your fly, do you set the hook right away or do you wait a set time then set the hook, as I seem to be loosing a lot of fish on the initial strike when I set the hook.thanks

Clayton
There are some good points in this thread (and an amusing side trip), but most of the replies to your question apply to stillwater angling. I find that stream fishing the same thing you describe happens (water boils at your fly, but no hook up). In most cases, it is not an attempt to drown your fly, but rather it is a rejection. My first reaction to this phenomenon is to immediately to chnge to the same fly, but a size or 2 smaller. 8 times out of 10, the next rise is an actual take.

·
Registered
442 Posts
good points prof. i was coming from a stillwater perspective for sure. if i can add one thing to your post, for the 2 times out of 10 that the rise is another refusal, try changing the color very slightly while maintaining your size.. eg. from black to dark brown, olive to green etc.

·
Registered
383 Posts
good points prof. i was coming from a stillwater perspective for sure. if i can add one thing to your post, for the 2 times out of 10 that the rise is another refusal, try changing the color very slightly while maintaining your size.. eg. from black to dark brown, olive to green etc.
Or one with flash to one with none or perhaps just less ... but certainly smaller size seems to help at times when that happens

·
Registered
214 Posts
I once dated a girl solely on the premise that our ancestors had been brutally subjugated by the British (I'm mostly of scottish decent, she was irish), so I owe the english that much anyways..

·
Registered
442 Posts
I once dated a girl solely on the premise that our ancestors had been brutally subjugated by the British (I'm mostly of scottish decent, she was irish), so I owe the english that much anyways..
haha! nice. i dated a girl once. 'till i found out she was 100% english. i thought i heard something funny in her otherwise canadian accent. no loss though. she didn't like it when i took off huntin' and fishin' without telling her. and no, she pretty much never wanted to come along. :D

·
Registered
442 Posts
haha! nice. i dated this one girl, 'till i found out she was 100% english. i thought i heard something funny in her otherwise canadian accent. no loss though. she didn't like it when i took off huntin' and fishin' without telling her. and no, she pretty much never wanted to come along. :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well it was a good starting point. I had actually noticed that she had an IRA bumper sticker on her car, so I fgured she was Irish. That sticker should have been a warning sign, it turned out her and her family were very irish.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Guys, how would you all like to keep this thread about dry fly fishing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts