BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of dressing do you use on your fly lines to keep them soft and slippery?
I have always used Armorall for my lines.
Just curious.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I clean my lines in a bucket of soap & water and once it's dried, I use the Armour All handi-wipes and just zing 30-40 feet of line through a couple of the wipes. Works like a charm.

edit: I forgot to add that I've heard Armour All will deteriorate your line quicker. I got both of my lines for free so I'm not that worried about it, but if you've just spent $125 on Sharkskin or another expensive line, I'd use what the company recommends.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
This is the stuff I use,

I was always told never to use armorall as it will cause your line to crack quicker but I don't know that for sure. As 11th Warrior was saying, "clean your lines with a non detergant soap & water" Then use the Glide line dressing and its like new again. ;)

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Cleaning

When I remember to do it:confused:
I use the Glide or Russ Peak dressing.
Both are excellant.
Quick and easy with the applicator box.

Sure makes a difference in the performance of the line.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I use RIO Agent X dressing on my floating lines and if my sink tips need it I will use the RIO on the floating part. Gotta watch as the dressing gets on the sink tips and they don`t sink well:confused:

All intermediated and sinking lines just get cleaned with mild soap, water and rag.

I would personally never use Armor All on my lines. Fly dressing is made specifically for fly lines which are not the same material as the interior of a vehicle or tires. Fly line dressing is cheap enough where cost shouldn`t be a problem.

I once researched dressing lines with Armor All and it didn`t take long to find enough negative stories to never use it. Apparently Armor All has a solvent in it that can reek havoc on certain fly lines.

Cheers
Nuggy

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
That's a good point guys. I've heard "don't do it" but I kept doing it (go figure...I'm stubborn).

I'm going to go out and buy some proper dressing tomorrow.

I love this place :)

G

·
does fly dressing work in sinking lines also? I have always just used soap/water but i do have one line(dry) that it isnt working on so i need to dress it :confused: just havent gotten around to do it.

but my clear camo always feel kind of dirty and the soap/water doesnt make it feel clean either so im curious if this stuff works on sinking lines also.

Thanks guys

Oh and never even thought of using Armor All, i mean it does a good number on your car if you remember to do it often enough but let the leather dry out it cracks :wallbash:

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I read an article in Fly Tyer (I think) that recommended 303 Protectorant. I found it at Lordco and bought a spray bottle adn tried it out. Man it really makes the line as slick as anything I have used, and provides a highly reliable UV protector. It also sheds dirt and surface gunk you invariable pick up off any water.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hi

good call Proff.
303 aerospace protector work on lots of stuff.
never thought of fly lines.
i have put the fabric one on lots of boat canvas', bimini tops,seats etc.
they used to give out sample packs by mail for a couple dollars.

knotnot

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
How long have you been using it Prof ?

Sounds like a good product.
I would like to have look at it next time we get together.
Just started to use it this summer. I have a 6'6" 2 wt double taper that I can effortlessly cast 50'. I'm really not that good a fly caster, so I think the 303 is helping a lot.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Degreaser

Most sinking lines need to be de-greased and not made to float. The chemical make-ups on a sinking line coat will generally weep off a bit of Silicone,this causes the line to sink less fast and become somewhat tacky...there are many degreasers on the market...some of the line companies provide a small bottle of de-greaser with every sinking line. Clear lines are an animal of a slightly different nature. Fishing clear lines in Salt Water rarely needs to be de-greased,in the Salt Water it is more about distance than sinking...to a degree! FOr the past 10 years we have been slicking our clear lines off the beach to gain better distance. Recently I have scrapped using Clear Lines all together and have begun using 10' slow sink Poly Tips off the front end of Floating lines with greater success and castability. The need to clean a poly tip is greatly reduced .
does fly dressing work in sinking lines also? I have always just used soap/water but i do have one line(dry) that it isnt working on so i need to dress it :confused: just havent gotten around to do it.

but my clear camo always feel kind of dirty and the soap/water doesnt make it feel clean either so im curious if this stuff works on sinking lines also.

Thanks guys

Oh and never even thought of using Armor All, i mean it does a good number on your car if you remember to do it often enough but let the leather dry out it cracks :wallbash:

·
Registered
10 Posts
the glide has worked wonders for me for the past bunch of years. Adds a nice little bit to the casting distance too since it slicks up the line quite well. I apply it several times a year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts