BC Fly Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made myself an aluminum fly box and I'm thinking of making some more and I'm just wondering if anyone would interested in such a product.

The box will use standard ripple refill inserts and I'll be making them in various sizes. I'll also be able to offer some custom engraving if anybody wishes.
I'm not to sure how much I'll sell them for yet but I'm thinking in the $30 to $40 range.
any input would be great.
thanks Bead Head

·
Registered
24 Posts
So when can I expect one? LOL I would like 2 of them if you can swing it. Cheers! -Nathan in NW

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fly box progress

So this is how things are moving along... I was able to get the magnets yesterday and today I received the aluminum and hinges and I'm trying to work out a deal on foam inserts. The box shown measures out to 5.75" x 3.75 x 1" thick, this fits a ripple insert on the bottom and a flat foam liner on the top. The ones I'll be making this time around will be an 1.25" thick and will also come with a ripple insert for the bottom and foam liner for the top, but the added thickness will accommodate for two ripple inserts if desired. The box shown was also made on a manual mill but for production I'll be using a CNC mill. This has allowed me to give the box some nicer curves and will fit in the hand better. I'm hoping to get some machine time this weekend and have some finished for Monday. As for price it looks like $42 for the 1.25" thick. If I make some of the 1" ones they will most likely sell for $37. Let me know what you think any input at this stage is really great. I'll post more pictures of the production box this weekend.
Thanks
Bead Head

·
Registered
24 Posts
For wet flies I like one side rippled and the other smooth. The smooth side would be better for smaller flies: chron's etc... And then I would use the rippled side for bigger wet flies: streamers, attractors.......For dries, I would probably want both sides of the box rippled....that prototype looks good, but like you said rounding the edges would be more hand friendly! Hehe! Any deals if i buy 2? maybe $75? Lemme know... Cheers! -Nathan in NW

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I was able to obtain some machine time this weekend and this is where I'm at:
[

IMG]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f212/BeadHead1975/fboxf.jpg[/IMG]

The box shown is the largest size and measures out to 3.9" x 5.6" x 1.25" these one will accommodate for two ripple foams. This time around I also bead blasted them to make them a little duller one of the pictures above shows two side by side one left as is from the machine the other was bead blasted. I think without the bead blasting the box is just two bright. I was also able to tuck the hinges inside the box giving it a nicer look. Like the last one everything is closed together by four magnets. I'm planning on making two more sizes tomorrow the only difference will be the thickness. I'll make a 1"thick one that will accommodate a ripple foam on the bottom and flat liner on the top. The smallest one will be 5/8" thick and will hold two flat liners. I still haven't got conformation on a deal for the liners but I'm hoping to settle that on Monday. And I still have to pick up some more fasteners but I'm hoping all will be done by midweek. The price is still pending until I figure out how much the foam liners will cost me but I think I'll be able to sell the 1.25" ones for $40 the 1" ones for $37 and the 5/8" ons for $35 but this could all change.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Bead Head

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cool! looking good....your prices are fine. Look forward to purchasing one or two from you before the spring stillwater season. Cheers BH and keep up the good work. -Nathan in NW

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got some new pics...

If your interested you can check them out at Riverside Fly & tackle in Port Coquitlam if you live outside the lower mainland pm me for details.
Thanks
Bead Head

L

·
0 Posts
Very nice!! Quite talented!! May just have to hit you up for one or three!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My stocks are getting low so if your interested send me a PM with contact information. I can't hold any as its first come first serve. Any ways if you interested let me know
thanks Bead Head

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Have you thought about a leafed box?
That would double the capacity of the thickest box.
I might be interested in one of those.
Just a thought.
And I would like to add that those are some of the finest looking boxes I have ever seen.
They might just become sought after collectables....... maybe even Wheatleyesque!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Round Two
This is my second batch of large boxes and this time they are anodized

Its hard to tell in the picture but they are a light olive green in color
I've also got more engraving options to offer

If anyone's interested you can check them out at Riverside Fly & Tackle in Port Coquitlam or you can PM me.
Thanks
Bead Head

1 - 13 of 13 Posts