BC Fly Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After fishing cutthroat for a while everybody starts to form a few solid observations of how to fish them and what works. What is your best piece of advice gained over the years? here is one of mine.

If your tying up silver body flies (muddlers, stickleback, etc) tie up a few more with a gold body or some kind of gold variant. I have found if fish aren't biting or fish are jumping all around and not hitting your silver fly, all it takes is tossing out a gold version and it usually entices one to grab hold.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I haven't been at it for all that long, but I've learned that if nothing is working, you can always try a dry fly. I've had good success with a Tom Thumb or a Cutthroat Candy when all the usual suspects weren't working.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've been chasing them for a year now and the biggest thing that I've learned is to have a large assortment of flies ready. I've found that they will turn off a fly after a few of their buddies are pulled ashore. Any bait fish pattern with red in it, particularly for the throat is money.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've found that they will turn off a fly after a few of their buddies are pulled ashore.
I would agree with that one, sometimes you get to a spot catch 1-2 fish and the fishing just turns off, even when there are 4-8 fish still jumping around your fly.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've been fishing them since I moved back from Europe, 20-odd years ago. The most general thing I have noticed is that they are very rarely picky - and given their long adaptation to our "feast or famine" coastal food supply - thats hardly surprising.

I can't think of another type of fish I've caught so consistently - on such a wide range of patterns and techniques.

I love them - and the places they live (just have a look at my avatar - which is a painting of one of the prettiest Cutties I've had the good fortune to stick a hook into!).

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
If you are fishing streams and you don't get a bite or see any fish after 2-3 casts, take a few steps down stream and try again. You have to cover the water efficiently and hunt the fish. I often cover 5km or more in a day of fishing cutties on coastal streams. Don't grow roots while you fish, but tread lightly since these fish often will seem to vanish if spooked. In heavily pressured waters, being the first on the water can often make all the difference.

I don't hit the beaches that often, but I've again found that I need to cover a lot of water and walk a lot of beach to find fish.

While golf may be the surest way to ruin a good walk, cuttie fishing must be the surest way to make a good walk infinitely better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts