BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Has anyone ever fished the river along the othello tunnels?

I wonder whats in there...?

Jooon

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've always wondered this too. Never had the time to stop and give it a shot. I'd be interested to see what people say on this one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
not a whole lot after the acid spill but in sept u can fly fish for some nice chrome steel 5-8lb how ever there isn't many in there i think last years count was 170ish.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
not a whole lot after the acid spill but in sept u can fly fish for some nice chrome steel 5-8lb how ever there isn't many in there i think last years count was 170ish.
The river is closed for steelhead!! Check for an opening, but don't hold your breath.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't recall an acid spill on the Coq... When was that?

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I think he is talking about the Cheakamus.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A few years ago(8-10+) above Othello there's a mine there and for the life of me i can not remember the name but the was a truck coming back from a mine went over the edge and leaked acid into the river burning it right into the rocks and killing everything in it the only fish that were left were the steel that was in the ocean at the time. so they closed the river down for years till it started recuperating and they've opened it the last couple years the fish have been far and few in between and like Professori said .. don't hold your breath there has been talk of keeping it closed all year.

p.s. don't think it was a base because i don't think a base can burn holes into the rocks u can see them there all white and big craters burned into them.

·
Registered
513 Posts
don't think it was a base because i don't think a base can burn holes into the rocks u can see them there all white and big craters burned into them.
They are referring to the Cheakamus spill which was a base (Sodium Hydroxide or caustic soda). I can't find anything about a spill in the Coquihalla river, if it killed everything I would think there would have been some kind of story about that I could dig up. Where did you here about it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Herd it from an old timer at the coq says he's been fishing the coq for years. But i searched for it too on line and i couldn't find anything soo looks like ive been played...lol

·
Registered
513 Posts
There still could be a sliver of truth to the story, its just hard to separate fact from exaggeration. We are fisherman after all.

"All fisherman are liars, except for you and me, and I'm not too sure about you."

·
powell riverite
383 Posts
Some bases if strong enough can burn holes in material, Why do you think people complain about their head beign itchy/burning when the bleach it?
and ya i havent heard of this spill, definetly intrested in learning more about it

·
Registered
85 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I just came across it now and thought I could bring some info about the chemical spill on the Coq. When I was a teenager, I fly fished the Coq for steelhead every summer, and in 1985 or '86, I remember walking up the river below the tunnels and seeing a whole bunch of dead steelhead. Then I learned that there was a supposed leach of cyanide into the river from the Carolin Mine, which may or may not have contributed to the dead steelies. I know it was hotly disputed, and I remember reading about it in the Hope Standard newspaper, but I can't find anything about it online now. But steelhead fishing has not returned to the quality it was before that spill or the highway going in.

·
Registered
671 Posts
It's a delicate gem of a river that houses relatively few fish. It suffers from poaching by uneducated anglers given it's easy access from the highway. I wish that rather than open the river for a free-for-all, that there were CW licenses that could be purchased. These licenses would be similar to CW for out-of-province anglers, who must select a specific river and day that they are going to fish...Just to reduce the number of rod days on that particular river. Proceeds could be applied to signage at popular access points to help educate clueless anglers.:2cents:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts