BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Globe an dMail, Wednesday, Feb. 10, 2010 page A11
"The warming of the Arctic is triggering a burst of biological activity in northern areas, leading to...fish becoming more contaminataed with pollutants. SCientists studying the macKenzie River, on eof the countires most pristine rivers, have been surprised do discover that mercury, PCBs and DDt in the fish are rising rapidly, a finding they attribute to global warming. ..A peer reveiwed paper outling the findings appeared earlier this year in the jouranl Environmental Science and Technology. The burbot were caught near Fort Good Hope, where temperatures have risen an average of 1.9 degrees since the early 1970s."

Expect more nasty surprises as climate change continues.

http://connexionsandcontradictions.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And I would suggest pressuring the federal government to do something about greenhouse gas emissions - send the Minister of Environment a letter telling him this concrns you. Nothing will happen until enough citizens indcate they are worried about the effects of global warming.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Garbage! The claim that there has been warming trend compared with the last fifty year average there is profoundly improbable. How about comparing it to mid 1960s versus the last ten years where there is info. Most probable cause of increased PCBs and DDT in fish there would be from countries that are uncontrollable and nobody expects their cooperation ... Russia and Asia.

Also the sampling issues can be affected annually with the occasional warm winter allowing thaws of some permafrost...which is normal especially if/where samplers knew that the history of DDT use in those areas in the early 1960s was extremely heavy in an attempt to kill the mosquito hoards to allow work to be done...not that it worked but it was applied with reckless abandon in the NWT where I worked one year. It would in that area, take only one mild winter to make those accumulations obvious and little to do with any Global Warming BS.

One should question blogs as a source for this kind of thing.

·
Esteban was Eaten!
338 Posts
I'm not sure if nebc is saying that the warming of the northern territories is untrue or not, but there is truth to his argument of DDT and PCB regulations being restricted to the Western world for the most part.

I'd have to disagree with any argument that northern warming is not occurring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts